a Grand design of Vivariums :)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Insane

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Gday all,

My research continues :)

thanks to the responses to my questions on here a few weeks ago, I have clarified what I want and what I need to do greatly.

I still have a lot of questions though, and some ideas I would like to run past all you experts.

first though: I am aware that a proper vivarium like this one requires more time and maintenance, and since it is my only one, I intend to do that extra maintenance and take the extra care :)

second: although it is peoples prerogative to keep their pythons in the manner that they like, and I criticize no-one for keeping their reptiles in any way they choose, keeping a python in a tub or small enclosure is not for me.

third: once I sink my teeth into a project I really do it properly, hence the excellent 6.1 home theatre audio system I created and built from scratch :p (i'm not bragging, I swear!)

Ok, so I have been reading, and have found its possible to create a natural, living vivarium for various reptiles, including pythons (scales and tails, issue 8 pg 17 has a writeup on creating them)

so I have looked around, and found the URS Giant tall enclosure would suit my needs, however I thought, why not go one better.

A lady at a nursery/reptile store came up with the brilliant plan of using a shower base and structure, as it is able to be made waterproof, will look good and has adequate drainage.

here are my sketchup pics of a basic design I thought up, using a 900 X 900mm shower that I found on ebay.
the skeleton

basic vivarium fitted out with nothing

I figure I can make the frame fairly easily, got a few mates with welders, it can't be that hard right? just get some steel box section and away you go. non-glass walls will probably be an epoxy sealed (marine grade waterproof) plywood or some-such, with fake rock backgrounds etc.

for lighting/heating I am thinking a heat pad in one of the top corners, and 2 four foot UV fluoro's running the height of the tank in the glass/wood corners. this SHOULD allow plants to grow as well as providing a little more heat throughout the enclosure.
Roof and ground mounted LED's would provide actual enclosure lighting, probably a set of daylight LED's and a Blue LED next to each daylight one. (I figure an old computer supply in the roof/base of the enclosure should power them adequately, along with a 12v fan to ensure airflow through the tank) will have to put vents fairly low in the wooden walls also.

At this stage I am looking for input from experienced keepers on pitfalls I should look out for with this type of setup, as well as any suggestions.

Also looking for other species I can keep in the same vivarium with a jungle python that won't harm each other and live in the same jungle environment. So far have thought of turtles and stick insects and possibly rainforest scorpions, although I have no idea if that would work, more research required :p

Cheers,

Daniel

You might need a bit more heating than just a heat pad in the top due to the height of the viv.
You will most likely find that the python will spend most if not all of his time up next to it.

yeah will have to work out more, I figure the large UV tubes will provide a bit more heat throughout the whole enclosure, and the temperature gradient would be top to bottom. planning on having a fair bit of vegetation in there so plenty of natural hides up high in the heat or down low in the cool.

depends on what other species I can comfortably keep in there I guess... that will dictate the design and functions.

Cheers,

Daniel

thank you so much for that link, exactly what i've been looking for! I also bought a book yesterday called natural terrariums Amazon.com: Natural Terrariums (Complete Herp Care) (9780793828913): Philip Purser: Books which is pretty helpful also, very indepth info on everything needed to build a nice natural terrarium/vivarium.

biggest question at the moment, is what species can live together happily, if any?

looking for mainly arboreal, and to live in harmony with a jungle python. although at this stage I am looking at having a small pond area and waterfall/stream, so something like turtles maybe.

seems like a little bit of a shame to create this beautiful natural habitat and only have one animal enjoy it.

big help needed anyone!

Cheers,

Daniel

Daniel,

Hope the link helps, but I dont think keeping turtles is a good idea. It would require weekly water changes, external canister filters, heaters . . etc.. and turtles create so much mess that It would become a pain to keep clean.

ok no dramas, just pulling ideas out of a hat at the moment, have no idea about any species other than pythons, and what I know about them is just from research at this stage.

any other idea's?

The main reason you cant keep different species together is the different temp needs etc..ie.a diamond likes it cooler than a jungle..and will use floor space more than a jungle who likes to climb,not that they will fight so much.i keep my diamonds seperate from the jungles for this reason.also i wouldnt put a turtle in..for many reasons..and your "blue led" for night i assume.is no good,grab the red or purple nocturnal lights,led's at night will annoy your snakes.and so id keep the jungle with a jungle.and be aware if you put to much water/foliage in your humidity will go through the roof which can lead to breathing problems...good luck m8y.:p

The main reason you cant keep different species together is the different temp needs etc..ie.a diamond likes it cooler than a jungle..and will use floor space more than a jungle who likes to climb,not that they will fight so much.i keep my diamonds seperate from the jungles for this reason.also i wouldnt put a turtle in..for many reasons..and your "blue led" for night i assume.is no good,grab the red or purple nocturnal lights,led's at night will annoy your snakes.and so id keep the jungle with a jungle.and be aware if you put to much water/foliage in your humidity will go through the roof which can lead to breathing problems...good luck m8y.:p

Gday mate, thanks a lot for your helpful input.

I was thinking more of other, non-snake species that could co-habitate. It has been suggested to me that things like stick insects could do well in the same environment as a jungle snake, just looking for other idea's like that.

The blue LED's would be to simulate moonlight, and kept on for the hours between sunset and say, midnight, to allow observation of the enclosure in as natural a way as possible. Have heard that blue is OK, similar to red? if I have the choice between them I will choose blue, but if its clearly better for the animal to go with red then red it is.

understand about the humidity, hence the mesh top, and an extraction fan to control the humidity levels. looking at a climate controller which can control all of my lights, pumps, heat etc.

this is not a small project, hence the reason I am researching so thoroughly, thinking along the measure 3 times cut once lines.

Cheers,

Daniel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back