A hunt with a spear

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

guzzo

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
It is Friday night again and I decided to put up another story of an adventure.
Has anyone else hunted anything with a spear?
I have hunted pigs for many years, first with a gun then dogs before exclusively using a bow.
So one dayl I decided to give a spear a go…… I got my forge out and fashioned a spear head ……clang clang….fire…..quenching etc ..etc….
I used hardwood to make a solid shaft……all done
I figured that I have shot many a pig from under 10 meters so I thought I would practice at that range…..I threw that thing until my shoulder was sore and managed to hit a coconut once out of every 1000 throws….oh well….what the heck….I was 128kg and needed the exercise
Anyhow I waited until it was absolutely pouring with rain and went for a walk through some high country as I knew up here during extended wet the pigs move to high ground.
It was also a really windy day so all the better…..I set off wind in face and spear in hand…..I kind of felt good and strangely powerful…haha
Before long I found some fresh tracks and started to follow them….not long after that I heard the unmistakable sound of boars fighting and I began to close in.
My heart was pumping out of control when I saw the backs of a mob of pigs in the grass. With a strong wind in my face (they can’t smell you) and a steady rain I closed the gap to about 20 meters.
The ground was so soft that it made silent movement easy.
I knew I was way too far and had to get closer so I crept in like a svelte leopard and closed the gap to 10 meters.
When the pig was busy digging I raised my spear and just like practice I completely missed…….i saw my spear sticking in the ground about 3 foot from the pig who did not even notice.
I was now disarmed…..I did not think about making more than one spear…now I wish I had…..anyhow I stood there until the pig moved off before crawling through the grass to get my spear.
I was back in action again and began stalking for the second time……again I closed the gap on a feeding pig…took a deep breath….and….missed again….but this time I did not go unnoticed.
Two big NT boars saw some movement and began to circle where I was (they were trying to get down wind of me so they could identify the threat)
They moved closer and closer all puffed up and menacing looking and making a hideous growling noise…..they were only 5 meters away from where I was crouched in a thicket of grass while my spear was sticking out of the ground 10 meters away…..great!
I unclipped my big old homemade knife as I just did not know what they would do when they caught my scent……..well as expected they hit my scent and stopped, let out the big boar WHOOF!WHOOF! (hunters will know this sound) which scattered the rest of the mob (and me)before they also left.
A bit shaky I walked to my spear picked it up and began the long walk back to my hilux. On the way home I threw that thing at every ant mound I passed and nailed it most times………Oh well at least I had a go. I felt ok ….despite not bringing home the bacon(so to speak) It felt a bit cool that I had got close enough for a shot (twice) on an angry animal that most people hunt with a rifle.
Just thought I would post it on a Friday Night

I took a self timed pic for the memory book.

View attachment 190175

Sweet story mate, iv seen vids of blokes getting in trees and nailing pigs as they went past. just seems a bit boring and heaps of effort to me lol. dogs are the best to pig with :p
mabey take some backup, and extra spears next time...if you decide to do it agian

I had a jack russel i was going to take but he went MIA when i lived in Howard Springs.... I will try again one day....I am sure it can be done...made me think how easy our scociety has become that we don't have to hunt for our food anymore

Ha ha ha nearly wet myself laughing at that.
Sorry a lot of it was at you, not with you!

Maybe you could use that spear on some of the MIA dogs roaming around Howards Springs.
They have become quite a big problem.

:( jack russels are awesome. Lol it amazes me how ppl think that little dogs cant pig, they are usually the best bailers ever!.

Cool story and top effort for trying mate, looks like a fairly hefty spear.

I dont like your font, what is with that, are you so special that normal typing isnt good enough for you? :lol: I would only hunt with a spear if i was restricted to it. It would be fun if it was required but why bother when you can kill humanely with technology devolped a few hundred years ago?

I have thought about using a spear to hunt, but wouldnt bother if i could get a clean kill without much extra effort.

No offence etc. i just prefer to learn skills to humanely kill stuff before trying it. I am toleratant of other cultures though(even those with differant fonts).

Ha ha ha nearly wet myself laughing at that.
Sorry a lot of it was at you, not with you!

Maybe you could use that spear on some of the MIA dogs roaming around Howards Springs.
They have become quite a big problem.

Thanks mate, you will have to come along next time

I dont like your font, what is with that, are you so special that normal typing isnt good enough for you? :lol: I would only hunt with a spear if i was restricted to it. It would be fun if it was required but why bother when you can kill humanely with technology devolped a few hundred years ago?

I have thought about using a spear to hunt, but wouldnt bother if i could get a clean kill without much extra effort.

No offence etc. i just prefer to learn skills to humanely kill stuff before trying it. I am toleratant of other cultures though(even those with differant fonts).

Sorry bout my font!! I did it in word and pasted it after fixing most of my mistakes........but now I am always going to use fancy font on you from now on cris

Last edited:
IMO detention centres are also cruel.
Was that supposed to be funny, cos I laughed.

Guzzo: The new leader of the Pig Killing, one spear, annoying font tribe.
Jesus what sort of camo do you wear for that?

lol Guzzo for a man who was nearly mauled to death by a rat you got some balls. I'd love to go on a pig hunting trip one day. Just another one for the list though for now

I wore old overalls on that hunt

lol Guzzo for a man who was nearly mauled to death by a rat you got some balls. I'd love to go on a pig hunting trip one day. Just another one for the list though for now

If your in the NT I am sure i can come up with an adventure that could get us both amost killed

ha ha ha, that's a nice one.
Not the overalls of course.

You definately need a spear thrower and your spear is too rigid. Needs to taper from the head to the tail so it will quiver in flight to help keep it straight. In good hands a spear is quite effective!!

hahahaha

I have found several 10 inch plus stone spear heads made from the Pine Creek chert. This is amongst the best weapons grade material anywhere in the country and was traded to WA and Qld as well as all across the NT. They were VERY old and still sharp enough to break a pig’s skin.

These spearheads are totally excessive for any living native animal and methinks they were for hunting hippo sized wombats and other mega-fauna many thousands of moons ago.

I have known some amazing old men who could do anything with a spear including nailing fish in saltwater with a freshwater layer on top (maximum visual distortion).
Sadly they have been falling off the perch and these skills are also fading.

So, goodonya cobber for reviving the oldest hunting tool in the game (apart from rocks). A spear thrower will give you double the thrust and double the distance, Early days in Sydney the Eoa people could throw a spear twice the distance of an effective musket ball, with greater accuracy and effect and the colonists learned that the hard way.

Love ya work mate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back