Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you Gruni, it is heartening to finally see someone suggesting Reptiles4me do something to alleviate the ridicule that seems to be heaped on him in just about every post he makes, i am sure that many here must have forgotten what youthfull exuberance is, in time i guess he will be pretty knowledgeable about reptiles if guys like you keep guiding him instead of laughing at him, i am so surprised that he has not lost it and torn stips of his detractors but i think he must just have broad shoulders.
ill just mention that i to have given him a little advice about how if he wants to be taken seriously then getting his spelling and meaning of words right would help alot , like how he confuses "dose" with "does"

he just openly said that he doesn't care about his spelling or if he gets words right , how can you help him when his got that attitude? i told him how simply right clicking words underlined in red can fix the problem , he knows how to do it but just doesn't care , if thats the case and he just doesn't care than should he be taken seriously

i am surprised that he didn't tell us all off in the first week though , got top give him some credit for that

ps im far from a spelling/grammar nazi myself , so who ever wants to pick at the incorrect grammar in my post (like what happened last time mentioned this) your welcome to i really couldn't care less , at least im not confusing "dose" with "does", or spikin lik dis bru su u hav 2 disyfa da mening of ma poist

Last edited:
Getting back on topic, that's an awesome find mate. I'm sure there are a few herpers out there (myself included) who would be pretty happy with finding and holding a Bandy Bandy..

Don't worry about that second post on this topic , I got my answer,:D fantastic looking snake ,I forgot to mention that in my last post.

I meant this post for the first page.

- - - Updated - - -

Thomasssss I didn't say I don't care about my spelling I just said I don't normally worry about it. I was not trying to give you any attitude of that nature. If my spelling is bothering you guys ,girls, then I will do better to insure my spelling is correct.

there is something I have to say about the bandy bandy. I want one ,I want one ,I really really want one.:D Cheers for that advice by the way.

Reptiles4Me, just to be clear I wasn't posting that as a ridiculing dig and it is the same comment I have made to others lately. I think people would do well to take 30secs between typing and posting to look for glaring things like that so people won't pick on them and take them more seriously. Kudos to you for putting up with it and maintaining your interest.

Ronhalling you may want to look back over my past record with the youngster, I am one of the members who stuck up for him in an earlier thread.

Sorry for the hijack but I felt I had a right of reply... Now back to your scheduled broadcast on the cute little Bandy Bandy (the Daddy Longlegs of the venomous snake world) :)

Cement

why would I be the laughing stock of the herp world if I got bitten? By te way is bandy bandy another name for a type of sea karate? Because if it is then I could understand why I would be the laughing stock of the herp world.

Because its almost impossible to get bitten by one, most snake people take great pride in not getting bitten. Sort of like getting attacked by a gummy shark.....:p

And no, they aren't kraits, they are elapids and land dwellers, and are hopeless at any type of martial art.

Actually there are 2 types of daddy long legs ,the American and Australian daddy long legs, the australian daddy long legs has extremely mild venom ,keep in mind both species can't puncture the skin, but the American daddy long legs has one of the most deadly and powerful venoms in the world. I have an extensive knowledge of arthropod's.

Daddy long legs, Pholcus phalangioides, exists on every continent on the planet except Antarctica, where it is believed to be too cold for them to live. They possess fangs that average 0.25mm in length and given the average human skin thickness varies from 0.5mm to 4mm, they lack the ability to produce a medically significant bite. The bite of the 'American daddy long legs' has been recorded to produce little more than a mild short-lived burning sensation. The venom, when collected and injected into mice has been shown to have a far less adverse reaction than the black widow spider. The urban legend that the daddy long legs has a powerful venom seems likely to have started because they are regularly capable of killing spiders that are capable of delivering fatal bites to humans. The reality is they are simply built to kill other spiders, and thus are far quicker.

Daddy long legs, Pholcus phalangioides, exists on every continent on the planet except Antarctica, where it is believed to be too cold for them to live. .
hahahahaha sorry but that just made me laugh so much , cheers sherlock i would of though spiders and insects thrived in the Antarctica ;)

Sorry guys but the info that I provided was incorrect ,the website that I got it from gave me that information, I still have a lot of correct info that I got from books ,docos, ,and entomology videos. My bad ,I should have double checked that info before I posted it.:facepalm: One of those insects that live in Antarctica ,not sure how true it is, is the ice bug ,I know a small amount of info on this not much,. The ice bug's blood contains a rather strong anti-freeze that prevents the cold from killing it. It is rather small ,brown in colour ,lives beneath the snow ,has a similar body structure to that of a cricket and ,as most insects, has a hard body made of 'chitin'. I have no further info on this poticula species.

Last edited:
Look at the first post guys and then ask yourself if 90% of the posts have been on topic. If you would like to talk about something off topic please create a new thread about it, I really don't want to have to go through threads and remove half of what has been said.

Last edited:
There is a lot more than one species of Daddy Long Legs. Members of the Family Pholcidae are commonly referred to by the that name or “Cellar Spiders”. Members of the Genus Pholcus are specifically termed Daddy Long Legs. A species list for this genus containing just short of 300 species can be found at this site… Pholcus - Wikipédia.

The species Pholcus phalangioides that has been mentioned originated in Europe and is more cold tolerant than most species. It is also more strongly associated with human habitation than other species and as a result has been introduced across the world. Despite this cosmopolitan global distribution, the areas of occurrence on each continent are far from continuous – in particular Africa, the Middle East, central and northern Eurasia and North America.

These spiders wrap their prey in silk to fully immobilize them before biting them. Where something enters their web that is considered too large, it is treated like a predator. The spider vibrates the network of webs to confuse the intruder and if that doesn’t work they will simply drop to the ground. So prey items are seldom much bigger than the spider.

In 2004 Mythbusters publicized comparative venom toxicity tests on mice as you mentioned. The toxicity of this Daddy Long Legs’ venom was clearly much lower than many other spiders. Since then an investigation on the effect of its venom on insects showed the venom to be not particularly effective and therefore quite mild in toxicity. On this show Adam Savage got this species of spider to bite him and reported that the bite produced a short-lived burning sensation. Whilst not conclusive, this does indicate the potential for envenomation of humans despite the short fangs and the comparatively thicker skin of humans. I would suggest that a biochemical assay of cutaneous and sub-cutaneous tissue would be required to put it beyond all doubt.

Just for interest sake, there is a common arachnid that is not a spider but is also known as a Daddy Long Legs. The other common name is Harvestmen. The most obvious difference between harvestmen and spiders is that in harvestmen the connection between the cephalothorax and abdomen is broad, so that the body appears to be a single oval structure. Harvestmen do not possess venom or spin webs but in my experience they will take residence in or near a vacated web of a Daddy Long Legs spider. This is no doubt facilitated by the fact the spider webs of Daddy Long Legs spiders do not have any adhesive (sticky) strands.

Blue

Look at the first post guys and then ask yourself if 90% of the posts have been on topic. If you would like to talk about something off topic please create a new thread about it, I really don't want to have to go through threads and remove half of what has bees said.

Apart from the spelling grammar posts is it really that bad if a thread like a conversation drifts onto a tangent? I'm finding the spider debate good reading TBH.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry guys but the info that I provided was incorrect ,the website that I got it from gave me that information, I still have a lot of correct info that I got from books ,docos, ,and entomology videos. My bad ,I should have double checked that info before I posted it.:facepalm:

In that case you should be careful what you post esp if adding the disclaimer...
Reptiles4me said:
I have an extensive knowledge of arthropod's.

Guys and Gals, while spiders are an interesting species and I am enjoying reading the various posts on them, the discussion is off topic from the original post. My suggestion if this topic were to continue would be to start another thread in the relevant part of the forum where those interested could still participate without taking this thread further off topic.

S

Last edited:
Yeah Womagaunt, knew what it is. Never seen one this small though. Does anyone on this site know wether or not Bandy's hatching cycle coincides with blind snakes hatching cycle? I know of plenty of termite mounds that blind snakes would call home but to assume that Bandy's would strictly eat at such a small size.........................................................

So where abouts are you based? Do you get a few of these around your place?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back