a real rock wall

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ash1997

Not so new Member
Reaction score
does anyone know if its possible/safe to make a fake rock wall out of real rocks im in the process of making a plywood encloser and i was thinking of drilling and screwing rocks on the plywood and filling the holes with grout does anyone know if this would work or has anyone done this before if so please post pics

Real rocks would be real heavy. It would be very difficult to attach them securely, very difficult to get the back ground to stay in place and it would be a large risk to your animals when they start climbing on it.

I totally see your point, if you found a way to do it on a small scale, it would have the potential for an amazing back ground. I think real rocks are better left for a large outdoor set up with a real rock wall though, JMO

Let us know if you do figure out a way to do it, would make an awesome DYI thread.

I take it yr wanting it to look as real as possible maybe you could set the rocks out how u want them on the ground then cover them in a thin fiberglass using the real rocks as a mould., then lift it off when dry. It would be one sheet and weigh a fraction of real rocks. As said above the weight of real ones would worry me

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 4

im gonna start experimenting with click clacks ill post updates i was thinking maybe drilling 4 holes in each rock and then screw them on to the wood there will only be enough rocks to climb on and assist in shedding and the rocks would be small no bigger than my hand

i might be being a little ignorant or over looking something here a little heavy maybe but made out of ply wood and sits on the ground so weight wont be an issue

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe have a go at making yr own rocks, it is heaps of fun.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 4

It would be a lot lighter and easier to handle if you made your own, however, depending on how you want it to look, there is another option;
You can make a stack stone wall, Boral have a range of it, they are lighter than real rocks, look real, and are easy to apply. Just use a sheet of sheeting, special stack stone grout (it's stickier than normal grout), and then apply it to the sheet with that.

May not be the look you are going for.

I think it's possible to do. With the right kind of rock or stone you could use a masonry drill bit in a hammer drill and dyno bolt it to the back of the viv and also liquid nail it. I would however also stack and support the rocks from the bottom up. Essentially you would be making a brick wall inside the viv.

Maybe aim for something like this. Where you stack a heap if rock sheets.
DSC_3182_zps41ce1081.jpg

image.jpg
Or use stone stacked tiles.

Last edited by a moderator:
im gonna start experimenting with click clacks ill post updates i was thinking maybe drilling 4 holes in each rock and then screw them on to the wood there will only be enough rocks to climb on and assist in shedding and the rocks would be small no bigger than my hand

My only concern is that you're using click-clacks. The weight of the rocks may distort the shape of the container & you may not be able to secure the lid on properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back