A rescued northern crown snake

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeffa

Reaction score
Just wanted to show a pic of a 10cm cacophis churchilli.

IMG_4452.JPG

Just rescued it from one of the next door neighbors cat.:cry:
It has what look likes a small kink just behind the head and is in a poor state.

I thought these guys were found futher north from Mission beach onwards. Can anyone clarify that as I live in Airlie Beach.

Think I came across one today further South

Hi,

I've been trying to find a description of the snake I stumbled across today when I was mowing my lawn (don't worry, s/he evaded the blades). He was black with a yellow band behind the head, approx 10cm long, moving very slowly but I think that may be related to the fact my garden would have been in shade for quite a few hours. I am pretty sure this is the one (unfortunately didn't have my camera handy when I was mowing) as it is the only one I have found that looks remotely close to what I saw. Am going to double check with QPWS tomorrow and would appreciate a reply if you found yours was something different, but I think the Northern crowned snake doesn't know it's only supposed to come as far South as Yeppoon (near Rockhampton).

Smileyrie :)

There are 4 species in this genus and as juveniles can appear similar to each other

Cheers
scott

Sorry but that definitely looks likes Cacophis kreftii. The band across the nape is too wide for C. churchilli and there appears to be no continuation of the band forward on either side of the head. Airlie Beach is pretty much the northern limit of its distribution. Did you get a chance to see the colour of its ventrum and if so, what was colour was it?

Blue

EDIT: Sorry Scott, you must have posted while I was typing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back