A tough rescue

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree that I'd almost be more worried about the Pelican, you guys seen the video of one eating a whole pigeon live?

If that had been me, I would have helped it, although I wouldn't blame anyone for choosing not to. My conscience would probably eat away at me for the rest of my life if I left an animal to suffer. I'm not freaked out by pelicans, so that wouldn't have been a problem, although I have a healthy respect for their beaks! To reduce that threat I would have tried what Longqi suggested and put something over its head.

The crocs would be my biggest concern. Like Pythonmum, I probably would have said to myself: "Okay, that pelican has been there for who knows how long, trapped and thrashing around and yet no croc has attacked it. Therefore the chances are that there are no crocs in the area." That may be delusional logic. :)

Ren I went past a big saltie watching a young pig stupidly sitting in the water to cool down. An hour later I passed again... same situation. Coming past a third time the croc cruised past with the remains of the pig in his jaws. They take their time. Patient predators. It seems silly but they are definately super cautious taking land based prey. Also impossible to approach from landwards. My theory is it is an ancestral memory. Dinosaurs would have predated on them on the shoreline.

Ren I went past a big saltie watching a young pig stupidly sitting in the water to cool down. An hour later I passed again... same situation. Coming past a third time the croc cruised past with the remains of the pig in his jaws. They take their time. Patient predators. It seems silly but they are definately super cautious taking land based prey. Also impossible to approach from landwards. My theory is it is an ancestral memory. Dinosaurs would have predated on them on the shoreline.

Interesting. I wish I had more opportunities to observe them doing their thing in the wild. I have the feeling that several have already observed me. :)

Recently I saw a video of a croc bursting out of the water and taking a pig dog. It was so fast. You might have seen the same one. It's creepy to think that it could have been there, lurking under the water for a long time before it actually made its move. Fascinating, yet frightening predators.

Yep. Would have been watching them from the moment they arrived. Lucky for that bloke it wanted the dog. He was gone for all money otherwise.

Well done Steve! I would have done the same, but been terrified at the same time. Or perhaps gone to get some extra help, just in case......

I had to rescue a Wedge-tailed Eagle the other day and had to cross a river (had to strip down to my shirt and undies, probably much to the amusement of the two young vet-students I had taken with me!), but luckily no crocodiles where I live!

i would of done the same thing and helped, pelicans are nothing compared to an angry cockatoo stuck in fishing line. the bird tried ripping my whole finger off.

It just occured to me... how did a cocky get tangled up in fishing line?

My favourite man v beast story up here was a bloke who had his entire lure collection spread out on the loungeroom floor. His wife came home unexpectedly and let his boisterous dog in. The dog quickly was attached to a dozen lures and the bloke dived on it and they rolled around collecting more lures. It took his wife 5 minutes to call for help because she was laughing so hard.

They were both sedated then taken to hospital and surgicaly detached. :) :) :)

No thanks lol im terrified of birds and just watched lake placid.

Sent from my LG-P690f using Tapatalk 2

It just occured to me... how did a cocky get tangled up in fishing line?

My favourite man v beast story up here was a bloke who had his entire lure collection spread out on the loungeroom floor. His wife came home unexpectedly and let his boisterous dog in. The dog quickly was attached to a dozen lures and the bloke dived on it and they rolled around collecting more lures. It took his wife 5 minutes to call for help because she was laughing so hard.

They were both sedated then taken to hospital and surgicaly detached. :) :) :)

at a park near the beach there was fishing line on the ground cockatoo got tangled in it, was already tangled wen i got there.

i did not get it all off as i was bleeding from the bite but got some off and was enough for him to fly off.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back