Absurd Feline Laws in the ACT

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
in the area i live in there trying to make it so that all cat owners must have there cats registered with the council and they must be desexed cats arnt allowed to breed UNLESS they are pure bred and they are registered for it, this is not happening yet but they are trying to get this law going i no there is also something els about keeping the cats inside but i dont no alot about it, i personally have cats they are indoor cats, and i wont let them out my house because i no one of them will attack birds etc if it gets the chance, i personally think that it should be a law that cats are kept inside, it makes sence to me everyone has there own opinions tho

Good on you Slothhead for looking into this problem.

I have spent about an hour searching the Western Australian Laws on Cats. I am sad to report i havent found anything that says cat HAVE to be kept indoors... only a suggestion that cats shold be kept indoors from dawn till dusk and have collar with bells on it(and i know the bells dont work). I also found that it is a $50,000 fine for any cat to be taken and released in the bush(or in any other place of abandoment), drowned, clubbed(or similarly killed or injured), gas, poison or feed substances that may cause pain or suffering. But you are able to hire a cat trap ($20) to catch the cat and give it over to the RSPCA or pound.

I would fully support laws that make people keep their cats indoors at all time. There are cat owners who do the right thing and keep their cats indoors (like my mum who has 5 cats and her friend who has 38!!! cats).... and then there are the raggy, rough,dole-bludging families that have a brood of unsterilised cats(and children) that they dont feed so the cats(and probably children) find their own food in our nature reserves and backyards. I can unfortunaltly can see alot of cat/kittens being destroyed if laws come in confining cats to the owners property but us humans created this problem, so maybe it the price to pay to help protect our wildlife and domestic birds and fish.....

www.catsterilisation.com.au offer discounted cat sterilisation in western australia.

cats incorperated is the place to call for discounted sterilisation in s.a :)
males are $50 females are $70

I do love my cat, but love my wildife as well, so our cat is housebound with an outdoor pen that is accessible from the garage - it's the only responsible thing to do - although we do have 3-4 cats from the neighbourhood who fight in the backyard and come through at all times of the night! really irritates me when i stand in cat poo when I'm gardening too grrrrr.

I did contact the council here in Brisbane and basicly unless they are collarless there is absolutely nothing you can do - I hate irresponsible cat owners with a passion!

lisc1, there is something you can do, get hold of a cat trap, trap the offending cats - if they have a collar take them back to their owner (once) if no collar or repeat offender, take them to an rspca in a suburb far far away.

working in the animal care industry for the last 3 years i have found out none of the systems in place work not for cats not for dogs, not even for our beautiful reptiles

it is a sad truth many ppl have tried to change althought it is a battle with a brick wall

The problem with a law is it has to be enforcable and financially justifiable. This means in a practical sense that someone a ranger or whatever has to be out patrolling. Then they have to catch the cat they see (which is extremely hard when you have an animal as nimble as a cat) locate the owner which unless the animal is wearing a tag mean scanning for a microchip or following it home to fine the owner. Even this may not be sucessful as there are many thousands of 'domestic' cats who are simply neighbourhood animals whom no one is going to take responsibility for.

restrictions imposed on the owners have to be achievable. in an ideal world cats would live indoos all the time but this is not the case. So where do we draw the line - that cats not be allowed out after dark, or after 7 o'clock? Then what about daylight savings? Cats are incredibly difficult to legislate for to control them by their nature. i considered getting a static collar for mine to allow them in the ayrd during the day whilst knowing that when nigh came they could not run away as i called them in for the night. However I was told that whilst their is a clause in the Dog Act which allows for static training, no such legislation exists for cats.

And once again whatever is decided upon has to be enforced to a degree that it seriously discorages people from continuing that behaviour.

SL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back