Acanthurus question

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Viaaf

Reaction score
I just posted an answer to a question someone has about their ackies, immediately after I felt that was stupid to do. Think you've got more experience with them than I'll ever have.
Which means this is the right place to ask this question. How do you differentiate between red and yellow ackies? What ends up outside of Australia is probably quickly scrambled. Still, the consistent difference I've always seen is that pattern (rosettes / occellates ??) on reds seems crisper, more sharply defined, than on the yellows.
As an example, here is what I am used to calling a red ackie:
viaaf-albums-ackies-picture6385-v-acanthurus.jpg

While this is what gets referred to as a yellow:
viaaf-albums-ackies-picture6384-yellows.jpg

I know someone is sure to say that the red ones are red and the yellows are yellow. I've seen some pretty reddish ones called "yellows" and the pattern is less crisp, sort of a pastel look to it. Does this make any sense, or is it all locality, or ... ?
Appreciate you time,
Andy

Hi Viaaf,
I think you might find there are a multitude of opinions on this one.
Speaking for myself I have pair of wild caught (on licence) ackies from the Pilbara region of WA that look very similar to you 'reds'. I'll try to get some photos for you.
I also have some 'yellows' bred by hugsta on this site that are Mount Isa, Queensland locale-pictures below of my largest female. These are very simliar to the photo of a Mount Isa ackie in Coggers 6th edition. As you can see the occelations are large and well defined and and sandy yellow in colour.
Bob

Attachments

• yellow ackie 1.jpg
    yellow ackie 1.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 79
  • yellow ackie 2.jpg
    yellow ackie 2.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 57
  • yellow ackie 3.jpg
    yellow ackie 3.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 67
Spongebob my ackies look exactly the same as yours. lol
especialy the last pic, mine have just shed.
lolve ackies they are so beautiful.
cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back