ackkie has the flu

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

skunk

Reaction score
hey guys, think one of me acckies has got a chill. seems to be "ticking" when he/she breaths. its nosstrills are a tad red when compared to the others. i think iv seen it bubble a bit when it breaths out too (unless im seeing things)

iv been told to keep it on high heat, what else can i do ? it is eating so thats a good sign i think... lol

What is the temp under the basking spot? It should be up near 50-60 degrees, even without a cold.

Cheers Alex

Sorry Shuan - no idea luv!!
But good luck and I hope that everyone else had helpful suggestions for ya :)

hey ether, yea i will need to fix my HOT spot. im aware that its not hot enough, its only around 40C under the lamp. the adaptors shold be in the mail & when they arrive i will change the lights so i can get it hotter. i think the acckie got ill during the long trip here & its no ones fault.

everything should be ok as he/she doesnt look too bad at this point in time.

thanks bex, nar i reakon it be fine. just gota keep an eye out thats all.

Sweet as, they will be fine as soon as you put some extra heat on them. As you said it was probably the trip down.

Until your adaptors turn up, put a large piece of slate etc, high, right under the light....dont panic about it jumping up touching the light....keep the heat on continually until your stuff arrives, then heat, at the above temp, until you see signs of it getting better, dont leave it to long......if it doesnt improve you'll have to probably get some antibiotics from your vet....it should however simply come good with the appropriate increase in heat...

Hey Shaun - is that tank running off a thermostat?? I would be guessing not considering that then average thermostat doesn't go past 35 degrees.
How are you going to regulate the heat?? ie, avoid over heating the tank. (lol - I know I know!! They like it hot!! But still, in a confined space, the cold end could get far too hot... Just a thought?)
Bex :)

Ime not going to use a thermostat of my Ackies tank, none can regulate a temp that high. My tank i 1.4m wide and has a great gradient. Plus i am using an Oz Bright globe so i cant use a thermostat even if i wanted to.

you should still take them to a herp vet and get them to check it out, When I got mine the person I bought off had them under the air con in the car and that was enough to start off the chest infection!!! I was told to bump up the heat and let it go as they should come good, Well they didnt and by the time i got them to the vet they had already suffered un-repairable damage to their poor little lungs!, After repeated baytril injections they finally come good but they still have a little whezzing
dont risk it, take them to a vet asap
goodluck

Is it me or are alot of people a bit too hasty to get to the vets??

All the "wrapped in cotton wool" type of attitudes are only weakening the strains of captive bred animals..........In my opinion...yes, get ready for it...Within 20 years we wont be able to sneeze on our captive animals for fear of some life threatening disease.

yeah I agree to a certain extent but why risk the health of your animals for no particular reason? Just to toughen em up? Doesnt sound fair to me? The animals rely on us to provide for them cause they cant do it themselves, I would always consult a vet if there is anything wrong because they know more than me!!!!!!

best luck with it Shaun, very nice animal. Is this the one with the cut leg?

No worries freerider, i wasnt aiming the reply to you it was just in general. But yeah, im all for the correct care of our animals health and well being for sure, but in most cases treatment is usually best done at home. (plus, it saves you the dollars that it costs a vet to say "yep, just a cold, bump up the temps, plenty of fluids and she'll be apples in the morning" LOL).

hey guys, bex, the tank is running on a theomostat, BUt only 1 of the globes are. the other (the basking light is running on a timer. which i have set to turn on when the sun comes up, & shut off when it sets. average 12hrs a day. it is also hooked up to the UV/daylight globes.

the theomostat is hooked up to one single globe for night time temps when the basking light is off so that it doesnt get too cold at night. (around 30C)

thanks heaps for the replys guy.

cheers

hey instar, nope. its not the one with the cut on the leg. this is another one. lol

all should be good, i just recived the adaptor..so the heat will be bumped up more now

ok, iv just booked them all in for a vet check tommow at altona vet clinic.

i figured its best to get them all checked out & maybe even xrayed to make sure theyr all ok. by the looks of thngs tonite, the acckie with hte flu seems to be doing slighly worst than b4.

hopefully its not beyond help when i get to the vets & that its cureable !

will keep ya'll posted.

Personally i think any reptile showing signs of respiratory tract infection or pneumonia such as blowing bubbles and raspy breathing,puffed out throat should get them to a vet asap for a course of baytril...pneumonia can act quickly and until you get it to the vet keep nice and warm,not too warm though.Some people say to put the heat right up which i personally don't agree with....how would you feel if you were crook with pneumonia and having problems breathing and all of a sudden get chucked in a sauna?

Take it to the vet as it's just not worth risking it and you'll be really dirty on yourself if you don't and the animal dies from the problem which happens quite often when untreated...this is not just directed at you skunk but for everyone.Also have you got it quarantined or in a different enclosure than the rest?

update on the sick acckie.
took them all to the vets today to get checked out. the lil dude seems slighly better now not because of the medication (yet anyways) but because i bumped up the heat in his tank alone. hes now in a small plastic tub that is inside an enclosure. basking lamp is a 60W desk lamp which works really well.

problem is he kinda jumps outa his tub & wonders around the whole enclosure lol..he dont look sick to me ..actually looks prety happy running about.

hes stil eating so dosing him with the meds will be easy, as i will inject the dosage into the circkets b4 i feed em to him.

Oh another thing,i found 1 of the 2 "healthy" acckies in the others mouth !!!! quickly broke the fight up but now the lil dude has cuts under his/her jaw. will have to wipe it down with betadine now. wierd that the other attacked its mate. never happend b4... :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back