Advice for first snake enclosure.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Savolion

Reaction score
Hey there guys,

Been lurking for a few months now doing my research and such, but i still have a few questions that weren't explicitly answered or addressed in K&BAP by mike swan.

I am looking at getting a Childreni or a mac as my first snake for a few reasons, however, at what size should i move them from their clickclack into a bigger enclosure, and how big/small should said enclosure be? Id be looking at getting a young snake, eg. one that is feeding well and the breeder is ready to sell.

And how do you describe to a breeder what coloring your chasing? or is it just a matter of keeping an eye on the sell section until one comes up, I have noticed some quite dark childreni which look amazing as well as some which have quite pale skin with dark markings.

Cheers, to anyone who can help me out.

il get hated on for this but i would personally recommend for your first, exo terra medium/tall, its typical newbie stuff but you can trust there will be no escaping, and there pretty neat in the way they work. i went cheap glass and timber once and had escapes with both as stimson and childrens are kind of the escape artists. Exo Terra : Natural Terrarium Medium / Advanced Reptile Habitat. if not you would be looking for something around the same size to start with. 600x400x400 minimum of 300x300x300 cause it wont be long til your chasing a larger enclosure.

Aaron aka SnakeWhisperer makes great enclosures he is a sponsor on here and lives on the sunshine coastyou may want to look at what he can offer. Exo Terrra and Reptile one you may pay a bit more for the brand name.

Thanks, had a look at his website and there is a few that interest me indeed so I'll have to contact him.

With a children's or spotted, do people reccommend ceramic or bulb for heating?

for cheap and officiant go with like a basking globe, good heat and nice lighting and use a uth or infra red globe for night time. ceramic is good heating and can be used 24/7 if u like, but you will have to purchase some form of light for a 14/10 day/night cycle. i might try ceramic as i have heard they last well and create a different heat.

Nvm found it:)

So anyone know of a SE QLD/Northern nsw breeder who breeds different colored childrens or macs? who might have some hatchies ready to go in a few weeks

try pythons1.com.au they are located northern NSW they are a sponsor here too

Cool ill have a look at them also, Are there any major disadvantages to using a internal digital thermosat?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back