Advice Please?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BROWNS

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hi peoples,i just recently had 6 blue tongues given to me and apart frm being a little underweight with a couple i really like them I;m going to breed them and sell em for next to nothing to get kids in the area into reptiles.I haven't had blueys since i was a kid and have a problem with one of the smaller ones i have.

The eye seems to be stuck together and the animal is a bit weak and not seeking heat like the others..is this similar to retained eye caps in snakes?Have attached a couple of pics so you can clearly see what i mean and it doesn't appear to be able to open it's eyes.I'd hate to lose the little fella so if anyone has some advice on this it'd be much appreciated,thanx!!!

2005_0608whatskink0073.jpg

2005_0608whatskink0077.jpg

2005_0608whatskink0075.jpg

i would separate bungeye from the others,get him off the sand and onto newspaper,,give him over head heat and puppy food ,,wash the eye with saline water and keep an eye on him for a couple a days

Yep much like i was thinking.I'll seperate and keep him nice and warm and might moisten a cotton bud to gently rub around the eye to seperate the skin.Apparently it's one of the symptoms of pneumonia"cold" and isn't seeking heat either.

Thanks ssssnakeman..

abit of warm water and cottonwool will do the trick....

Yeh browny you find if a bluey with watery eyes is in a cage with sandy substrate it gets in the eyes.Bath eyes to open them and you can generally see then they have an infection.ive generally found that that cat and dog eye and ear ointment containing neomycen antibiotic works well if there is infection as does the human equivilant.These are prescription and to see vet is adviseable.

I had a few shinglebacks with this after they were freighted to me, they got way to cold and got a cold/resp. infection. Their eyes were closed and a little pussy, like glued together.

I kept them on a dry towel on ground and above heat, changing the towel everyday and bathing their eyes with cooled boiled water and a teensy bit of salt. I also syringed water in their mouth twice a day, this seemed to help a lot. They were treated for the resp infection and their eyes recovered.

The guy who sold them to me, well known skink breeder, said that when they get too cold sometimes their eyes close up like that, he's seen it go on all winter in his outdoor enclosure.

I read where you quoted me and thought "we're the hell did I write that?"

Forgot there were juvenille minds here, I remember the cat threads :roll:

Definition of the word Pussy as was used in previous post: gooey white stuff coming out of the lizards eye indicating infection.

:lol: Suppose that pic could have been worse.

i also have a baby bluey with a bung eye. the eye is all better but it does not seem to be eating anything. i have tried cooked egg, raw egg, stawberries, snails but to no avail. as mentioned above can i try and give a small bit of chum, just the soft stuff. it is on a heat mat and is becoming more and more active, but still not eating. any help would be appreciated

cheers frank.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back