AFTCRA success! 3rd Clutch of Mary River Turtle hatchlings

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

expansa1

Reaction score
Hi Just thought I'd mention (for all the turtle freaks out there) that we have bred our 3rd clutch of Mary River turtle hatchlings so far with 2, maybe 3 more to come this season.

The only reason that I mention this is that they are so hard to breed in captivity with even large institutions that have been trying to breed them for years with large number of adults failing to do so! There is a breeding action plan for this endangered species in institutions that keep them and to date there has been no breeding success.

We (AFTCRA Inc) are working on a joint proposal with Dr Colin Limpus of the Qld EPA to be the first private breeders of an endangered species in Australia to be released back into the wild for conservation purposes. Hatchlings will be given a clutch ID. If they are recaptured in following years they will then be given individual ID's as well!

It would be fantastic to eventually see some of our captive bred hatchlings coming up to breed in 15-20 years time!

Cheers, Craig

We may be offering a few hatchlings for sale to help raise money for more hatchling ponds and equipment. We also need to raise money for a bore and solar pump.

We are looking for a corporate sponsor to provide funding for this major conservation project which will be a 'first' in Australia!

If you know of any large corporations that may be interested in doing something conservation minded please let us know by contacting us at [email protected]
3rdclutchMRTshatching.jpg

MRThatching.jpg

How much do you need for the bore and solar pump?

:p

Hix

Congratulations Craig, that's awesome news!

:0)

congrats on the bubs :) lets hope there is a future for their habitat so as a release option is viable - keep up the good work!

congrats on the bubs :) lets hope there is a future for their habitat so as a release option is viable - keep up the good work!

Thanks Dorian, I agree! The habitat is the biggest conservation disaster that AFTCRA has had to work on so far. There is no point releasing hatchlings into an environment that cannot support and sustain them!

BTW, below is a closeup of the Azolla in the hatchy pond that Gab just took for you.

Cheers,

Craig
Azollainhatchypondsml.jpg

Last edited:
Well done Craig and Gabe for the effort you put into AFTCRA.
Every herp should support your work,
To hatch these guys would be particularly pleasing I would imagine, congrats!
Cheers
Adam.

yep, definately awesome project in progress. Keep up the good work :)

Well done Craig and Gabe for the effort you put into AFTCRA.
Every herp should support your work,
To hatch these guys would be particularly pleasing I would imagine, congrats!
Cheers
Adam.

Hi Adam, and thanks!

Yes we're stoked that the work we put into to AFTCRA and the turtle dam during the off season has paid off.

Cheer
Craig

well done guys I hope u find a sponsor for your very worthwile project.So when those wee guys grow up they will have a habitat to live in.

Good stuff Craig! Hopefully they will become more common in captivity and in the wild! If i had the money, i would gladly donate to you guy's! Keep up the good work!

Kane

Well done Craig and Gabrielle! How much would the hatchlings be that you might be selling?
Allan

Hi Allan,

We'll probably ask $150 each for them. Every cent will be donated to AFTCRA for the Mary River turtle breeding project!

Thanks also to every one else who has commented on the hatchy success!

Regards,

Craig

re AFTCRA

Is this turtle the same Mary River turtle on my 02 and 04 class 1 species list as Elusor Macrurus Y2776 ,so its endangered in the wild and hard to breed in captivity LOLz,no wonder storrs monitors and womas,broad shelled turtles are on class 2 its a lottery arrangement,something wrong somewhere,probably NPWS or Enviro Cons just dont give a toss about reptiles maybe?????

Is this turtle the same Mary River turtle on my 02 and 04 class 1 species list as Elusor Macrurus Y2776 ,so its endangered in the wild and hard to breed in captivity LOLz,no wonder storrs monitors and womas,broad shelled turtles are on class 2 its a lottery arrangement,something wrong somewhere,probably NPWS or Enviro Cons just dont give a toss about reptiles maybe?????

Hi Zulu,

Yes it's the same species. Heaps were presumed to still be around from the days when a fellow from Maryborough almost devastated this species and over a 10 year period took between 100,000 and 150,000 eggs from the Mary River with most being the Mary River turtle, formerly known as the Pet shop turtle. These were sold to Pet shops in Qld, Nsw, Vic and S.A. NSW N.P.W.S presume that there are still heaps around and don't really care that much about them as they are not native to NSW. That is why they are on a class 1 licence down there!

Cheers,

Craig

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back