Aggressive Bluey

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lex10

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I was given 3 bluey's about a month ago and the smallest one has always hissed very loudly and aggressively when i'm around or trying to pick him up, but lately he's worse, biting the air, biting the plate when I pick it up. I had to pick him up with a towel.

I don't know the sexes of the lizards but is this possible behaviour of a male with 2 females? He isn't as bad once he is being held, still hisses a bit but calms down.

The old owners told me one of the lizards was found in their backyard so is possibly wild, but I don't know which one, and they haven't replied to my email asking them about the lizards.

They did mention that one of them had babies once, but I don't know which one.

Last edited:
If it was found in their backyard does that mean you bought it off-license?

Unless they have the right permits to catch and sell animals, it's probably illegal.

Usually they calm down with handling, if it's smaller and wild-caught it may have a parasite of some sort. Feed it up separately, make sure the temperatures are correct and handle it whenever you can.

I have no idea, I don't even know how long they had them for, years I think.

They get along well and eat well, the temps are fine. None have any parasites and they are quite chunky.

Simple answer, it doesn't want to be picked up, It doesnt like having something moving over the top it, ie: your hand.

Sounds a lot like the young blue tongues we had to move out of our backyard, VERY aggressive.

If you've only had them for such a short while, the aggressive one is probably just taking a lot longer than the others to settle down in its new environment.

It could also be a territorial issue if they don't have enough space in the cage.

They get aggressive over hides also.

The male / female thing will come into account as they mature.

Also, its not a good idea to keep different species of blueys in the same cage.

In the end, the aggression seems to be towards you so just handle it more frequently and it should settle down. They soon realise you're not a threat

I kept a blue tongue from a clutch I bred last year and pretty agressive, hisses bites and opens his mouth....sometimes its just their nature I guess my other don't mind to be touched. I just leave mine alone and don't pick him up unless I've got too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back