Aidding Shedding

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

deathinfire

Reaction score
Ok before ppl start telling me about the "search button!" on this topic, I have spent the last 20 or so mins looking through topics..

The question:

One of my BHP is really have a hard time shedding, being winter, the air is dry from the heaters etc. I was wondering how ppl soak problematic shedding pythons, Ive read the article from the southern X reptiles site, and would appreciate it if members with experience could give me a few pointers.

Cheers,
DIF

I last two sheds my Childreni had including a few days ago (unexpected shed) have been assisted sheds.

I use warm (not too hot) water to soak it in. I also wear kitchen style rubber gloves for the skin to have something to grip.

After soaking the snake for a while, support the snake with one hand and grip the snake with your other hand and slide that hand toward the tail. It will take a while and you will have to soak it containtly, but eventually the skin will come off. Pay special attention to the tip off it's tail to make sure you get all the skin off.

I do have trouble putting my thoughts in writing sometimes, so I hope the above is helpful to you.

The best method I have personally used, although rarely, is a tub (or container of some sort) with some towels soaked (wet, but not soaking) in warm water placed inside. You can leave the snake in for however long you feel is necessary, and as the snake moves around, the moisture and friction do the job of getting dry skin off reasonably well. Works well for me.

Cheers Rossco.

cheers peeps

I gave the wet towel method ago last night rossagon, it worked well for the under belly, today il have to give him another soak.
Thanks for the suggestion of using gloves to provide some form of friction dont know why i ddint think of it earlier :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back