Ailments and Disorders..

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pike

Reaction score
Hi i was wondering if everyone could post pictures of any ailments or disorders they have taken of there snakes or just photos they have..

eg..
mites
eye disorders
damond python syndrome
skin disorders
mouth infections
etc..

thanks...

I have a few pics at home of my coastal all kinda bent in uncomfortable positions cos of his sickness. They're a bit dodgy but I can put em up if you'd like. And I have a 90 second video of him doing it as well. What were you wanting them for?

I too think it would be of benefit to have a collection of pics somewhere showing signs and symptoms of different ailments and diseases which one could use as a reference if they are concerned or they could use to recognise problems and get their animal to a vet before they get too serious.

I was just doing trying to find some pictures exhibiting canker but had no luck.

Shax

i thought it would be a good topic, so as people would know wat to look out for..

don't go 2 to much trouble...
just if use have pics..
cheers

There is a good book called "What's wrong with my snake" which has quite a few pics in it of different diseases etc. It's well worth having on your shelf imo. And another one called ummmmmmmm something Reptile Parasites :?. Sorry lol, I can find out when I get home if nobody else can fill in the gap for me :D. Got it from the Herp Shop

Taken from the Herp Shop website:

"UNDERSTANDING REPTILE PARASITES, by Roger J. Klingenberg D.V.M.
81 pages, soft cover, 21.5cm x 14cm, black and white photos. This book is intended to help the average herpetoculturist, amateur or professional, maintain parasite-free collections. It is not intended to be an extensive compilation of parasite taxonomy. The goals are twofold. One is to provide an understanding of, and ability to apply, basic principles in the identification, diagnosis, and treatment of common reptilian parasites. The other goal is to convey an understanding of how captivity + stress + parasites = disease, and ways this scenario can be avoided or treated. $16.50 per copy "

That book I liked cos we originally thought our snake may have had crypto but when we looked at the picture of it in the book it looked nothing like it so we were able to pretty much count that out!

"WHAT?S WRONG WITH MY SNAKE? - A User Friendly Home Medical Reference Manual, by John Rossi D.V.M., M.A. and Roxanne Rossi.
Soft Cover, 21cm x 14cm, 150 pages, black & white photos.
This book deals specifically with the common medical problems of snakes and their treatment. Problems of captive snakes based on the apparent signs of disease, stress, and inability to acclimate to captivity.
Chapters include: Disease and the captive environment, Acquiring a snake, Selection of snakes, Handling snakes for examination or treatment, Anorexia and inappetence (not eating), Maladaptation, Burns, Constipation, Dehydration, Dermatitis (skin lesions), Diarrhoea, Dysecdysis (improper shedding), Egg care, Feeding frequency and obesity, Medicines, Most commonly used drugs in snakes, Deworming chart, Overheating, Parasites, Personal Hygiene and quarantine, Reproductive failure, Respiratory problems, Stomatitis (mouth rot), Sudden death, Weight loss, Choosing a veterinarian, etc, etc. $19.00 per copy "

Those books are great.

I just thought that the more pics of different conditions, and the more personal experiences the better. Like those pictures of IBD which you posted for geckodan the other day. I know that it wasn't entirely clear what was meant by star-gazing until the pics of an animal with IBD were posted.

Shax

There is a book by Douglas Madder on reptile and amphibian diseases. It costs about $200. Best book ever for this.

There is a book by Douglas Madder on reptile and amphibian diseases. It costs about $200. Best book ever for this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back