Alexandrine Parrot

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PhilK

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hello all how are you?

In the hospital at the moment is a very interesting case called "Alex". The vet is looking at her out of interest but has basically told me I can have her when they are done with her - this is great news for me as life has been a bit lonely without a feathered friend after my ex got my green cheek conure. I have already gotten my hopes up and started calling her Mitzi (my girlfriend's idea after the he/she from Priscilla Queen of the Desert).

I am posting as Mitzi is not and has not been a pet bird - she has always been an aviary bird. She is remarkably quiet in the hospital, will fly to back of cage when you approach but doesn't hiss/lunge/scream or pin the eyes at all so she seems quiet. My main question is what are your experiences with Alexandrine parrots? Do you think she is a candidate for being quietened down and made a pet?

Any answers great
Phil

I haven't had any experience with alexandrine parrots but I have with plumhead parrots. I had one birds which was quiet in an aviary which used to come and take food from my hand and as far as I know was never a pet bird (he was three when I got him). I dont se why you couldn't make her a pet but it will take time and patience

You'd wanna hope it is tame because even young alex's give a mean bite! Nice birds though, grow to a decent size and aren't too noisy

If she's a mature bird that has never been handled then, to be honest, without you having some significant behavioural training behind you it's going to be a very long and stressful road for the both of you. I would not recommend it.

You'd wanna hope it is tame because even young alex's give a mean bite! Nice birds though, grow to a decent size and aren't too noisy

If she's a mature bird that has never been handled then, to be honest, without you having some significant behavioural training behind you it's going to be a very long and stressful road for the both of you. I would not recommend it.

i agree

If you have the time.It can be tamed. Time can take 18 months though.

I would agree with Stevo for all the effort and stress the bird would be happier staying as an aviary bird paired up with a partner. A hand reared baby will always make a better pet and they do make great pets especially in my experience the males they are very affectionate.

Hand reared don't make better really. They end up with an attitude. Wilder take longer but make better pets. Hand reared get an attitude. My cockatoo. He was wild and became the best. He is the only 1 I have left out of 45 parrots. He is now 20 and a big baby.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back