Alternative Healing Veg????

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dragon lady

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hope ive got many interested....

I make lotions to heal , external ones
but am interested in plants that can do good with consumption ...
Aloe Vera has great healing properties....without argument its a fantastic plant!

Can reptiles...mainly dragons eat this without harm or is there a maximun amount to be consumed without harm?

Ive read where cactus pads (cuts up without outer skin & thorns ) can be eaten...
so what else is there....what about Lavender etc....?

thankyou for any alternative information!:lol:

Too much aloe Vera will give any living thing the scours. I wouldnt ingest lavender.I would stick to safe hebs and veg and not risk toxic poisening.

we live near a lavender farm and they sell a kind of edible lavender. i made biscuits with it and it is quiet tasty. not sure if it is ok for beardies but might be worth checking out.

Yes you can use lavender in cooking but i doubt you will get the concentration of oils right to feed to you animals. The oils are toxic. How much is a lethal dose for a 400gm beardy?

Dragontamer, most (all?) lavender is edible, just that some will have a better aroma than others. Try lavender brulees, meringue or marshmallow.

If you go mucking arround with various plants that could very well be toxic you will almost definatly do more harm than good.

Thankyou everyone....
Ive been dabbling with potion & lotions for more than a decade.... but not with consumption with reptiles
My girl Adrian....central Bearded Dragon.... has seen a vet but the prognosis wasn't pleasant ...
she has already had enough of the treatments of Baytril & now with the infection reappearing she is on the last resorts road....
looking for alternatives now...thanks for all the pm's also...will be intouch!

comfreys meant to be a healing plant,....i remember mum giving up disgusting infusions when we were young,.. :)

you can also get dairy free probiotics from the chemist, i found it helped one of my big girls heaps after her meds when she was a bub.

DragonLady has alot of sick animals cos she takes in alot of sick rescues, so shes doing a really nice thing. :)

there's a plant which has the second highest source of protien in its seed nex to soy beans....Unfortunately it's illegal...But i've heard that if its growing in bushland animals go nuts for it..

Ben

there's a plant which has the second highest source of protien in its seed nex to soy beans....Unfortunately it's illegal...But i've heard that if its growing in bushland animals go nuts for it..

Ben

haha, i guess they'd also get the munchies then,..! :)

Thanks Ben.....there not about to put me or my reptiles in handcuffs! lol

Chris1...i use Comfrey & Tansy in a ointment for my jaw...didnt know if was ok for reptiles?
must follow that through if anyone can tell me please?
as i have one already made up...& my plant died!

Matthew Burgess ..Adrian was bought for me in 2006...she was 3 & had problems to start with ,my son saw the problem a week after i did when we got her...... but others thought i was seeing what wasn't there!
i took notice of persons who reptiles longer than i did!

Ben
haha "It's for my cataracts":lol:
There is amaranth (a psuedograin) which has better quality protein than soy and nearly than 5 times as much as fresh soy bean. Full spectrum essential amino acids for human diet and its not illegal. Don't know if its safe for reps though.

I use colloidal silver for various things it is safe to use externally as well as diluting it to put in their water. Someone on here recomended it to me for a beardie eye infection and worked really well. I know its not a plant which is what you ar interested in but I thought it may be helpful for some people- you can get it from health food shops.

Thanks all....
the infection is in her jaw & thats why i initially thought of aloe vera... but risks are too high
comfrey makes sense .... but can harm the liver,she is already eating mainly veg...
the increase of protein would be great
i'll try the dairy free probiotics...see how it goes

Do you really think that is a good idea?
Reptile gut flora is a bit different to human gut flora.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back