Alternative Snake Food?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Liccy

Reaction score
As some of you might noticed, i've just posted my rats in the for sale forum... if no-one considers them, i'll wait till they get bigger, CO2 them, and freeze them. Anyway, just wondering wat other alternatives are there? I read that chicken necks can be fed... wat else? he will still be getting rats (Frozen or live from the pet shop).. but i would like to know some other options...

thanks,

Alicia

becareful feeding live rats from pat shops, some times the shops use pest a sides to de bug them of flea etc and can be harmful to snakes

Firstly i'll start by saying never feed your snake a live rat. I'm sure someone will take the time to post a picture of what can happen when a rat decides he doesn't want to be the snakes friend. As for food alternatives, you can try day old chicks, rabbits, guinea pigs, quails etc. But really there is no need to feed him anything other than rats. Rats are quite cheap compared to the other types of foods, and provide all the goodness your snake requires to maintain a healthy lifestyle. :wink:

wen he was still on pinkies for some reason he just stopped eating...he was too distracted by me closing the door, he overlooked his food... and sat watching where i last moved... so i tried live mice, and it worked! now he gets a mix really...

does anyone have frozen rats for sale already?? i really cant be bothered with it all anymore...not for 1 snake!

No, my supplier does, very cheap.. i'll PM you his contact details.

I use chicken necks trimmed of almost all the fat (that can be a quest) But I alternate it with my diamonds conditioning them up for the up coming breeding season. One thing i've noticed is if you feed souly on necks their turd become runny and have a distinct odour. I now do one feed necks next feed rats. The fur from the rats tends to bind everything together nice and solid and it has worked really well. When you have larger breeding animals alternate feed with necks really cut your feeding costs down and it's nice lean meat their getting.

Defrosted rats, mice,cats, chicken necks and wings are all good food sources. Though i dont use chicken parts as a sole diet as it wouldn't contain many of the benefits snakes must receive from brains and guts.

Defrosted rats, mice,cats, chicken necks and wings are all good food sources

You could open a can of worm with cats as food couldn't you.

In a perfect world, snakes and snake owners could even up the feral problem.
Great size for large pythons.

(sorry any cat lovers feel free to whip)

G'day Yommy, It is not my intention to open any can of worms, if my comment does then that's their worms not mine. Nobody is forced to agree with me i'm not pushing an agenda just answering the initial post openly. We don't need another cat debate though i also dont care if there is. I live on a rural property which a few years ago had a huge problem with feral cats, someone killed them all and it seems to me that rather than waste the carcasses they would have made a great ''alternate'' snake food.

I know you weren't having a shot Yommy, it was evident from your post that you look at things reasonably.
I forgot to mention guinea pigs, rabbits and pigeons also in my list. If feeding feral animals to your snakes i would think it commonsense that they should be frozen for a considerable length of time to avoid parasites/worms etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back