Angle headed dragon egg!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

greggles91

Reaction score
Hey every one,

Wasn't expecting this yet at all but I just had a look at my angle headed dragon cage and there was an egg!

It does look a bit small and there's only one and its was just sitting on top of the soil... I'm guessing its not gonna be a good egg?

Any one have any opinions or Input?

ejy6aqeb.jpg
enaga7eg.jpg

Might not have veins yet anyway if you try candling it. If it's not obviously bad there's no harm in incubating it anyway particularly as SAHDs don't need much heat etc when it comes to incubation. Best of luck

Don't assume that it's not a good egg.
I suggest that you incubate it.

Yeah I will incubate it. :)

UPDATE! I'm not happy!

Thought I'd look for more eggs so I carefully went through all the substrate.. ALOT OF SUBSTRATE! :p ..

So I found a bunch more eggs but they are yellow,extremely indented and look like they been there for a while. Incubating them incase anyway..

Here's the bit I'm upset with.. As I went to move all the substrate back into place I found another four fresh white eggs in there.. But they must have turned etc since they were moved amongst all the substrate.. :( I'm still incubating them but guessing they will probably have been turned over n may not be viable :( feel like I've failed my dragons!

Here's a pic.
8a6ygana.jpg

Turf the manky eggs they are no good and might even kill the damaged ones from the mould.

Turf the manky eggs they are no good and might even kill the damaged ones from the mould.
Hi Greggles,
I completely agree with Ramsayi statement above.
By the way I'm "apinkypurply's" partner from IG.
In Adelaide they are a complete pain in the butt to incubate however you've got one up on us because you're nearer to natural home range. Last year I was greatly frustrated trying to incubate these little buggers so here's some hint that I found out about!!!
(1) These eggs can not and will not cope with heat. Anything over 32*C for a prolonged period (@ 32*C you may get away with a day, @ higher temps. like a heat wave of 38-40*C only a couple of hours) will lead to deceased fetuses or extremely weak young that will soon die.
(2) If you have a place in your house that stays cool put them there in the incubator (where you are incubators are almost not needed and can successfully be done without). Optimum incubating temp. is 24*C.
(3) Even though optimum incubating temp. is 24*C, if kept at this temp. steadily this will also result in sickly young and poor hatch rates.
(4) We've finally gone to using one of the incubators that heat and cool. The general problems to be found with these are-
(a) Uneven temp. dispersal, even with fan function on.
(b) Temps. shown are often off from what's shown. Rectify this by using another thermometer. This also helps with first problem (4a) as you can then position the eggs in the ideal spot in the incubator.
(c) Since a constant 24*C will also negatively affect hatch rates I use a system of upon wakening in the morning set temps.@ a day high of between 24-26*C (as 27*C it outermost limit for optimising hatching rates and their health) and night time high of 20-21*C.
Hope this helps and will add more if/when I think of them!!!

Last edited:
Hi Greggles,
I completely agree with Ramsayi statement above.
By the way I'm "apinkypurply's" partner from IG.
In Adelaide they are a complete pain in the butt to incubate however you've got one up on us because you're nearer to natural home range. Last year I was greatly frustrated trying to incubate these little buggers so here's some hint that I found out about!!!
(1) These eggs can not and will not cope with heat. Anything over 32*C for a prolonged period (@ 32*C you may get away with a day, @ higher temps. like a heat wave of 38-40*C only a couple of hours) will lead to deceased fetuses or extremely weak young that will soon die.
(2) If you have a place in your house that stays cool put them there in the incubator (where you are incubators are almost not needed and can sucessfully be done without). Optimum incubating temp. is 24*C.
(3) Even though optimum incubating temp. is 24*C, if kept at this temp. steadily this will also result in sickly young and poor hatch rates.
(4) We've finally gone to using one of the incubators that heat and cool. The general problems to be found with these are-
(a) Uneven temp. dispersale, even with fan function on.
(b) Temps. shown are often off from what's shown. Rectify this by using another thermometer. This also helps with first problem (4a).
Sorry but got to go to shops, will finish when get back!!!!!

That's awesome info! Thanks for that! Yeah I've found a nice spot but its just in a container not a cooling incubator. Hopefully the temps will be ok. Today it hung around 23-24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back