Angle-headed Dragon may be Gravid?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrDylan

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have a pair of Angle-Headed Dragons, and I think she might be Gravid. She's dug up a quarter of her enclosure and she looks a bit fatter than usual, could she be? What other signs can I look for apart from her digging and being larger?

Also, if she is gravid and has eggs, am I supposed to take them out? We didn't even notice last year that she had laid eggs, and I had the best Christmas Present when I walked into the loungeroom where we keep them and saw 4 little babies jumping around the cage. :D

Any information would be great thanks! :)

Last edited:
Congratz!

Other things you may have noticed are.. She may have been eating like a pig & now stopped or slowed down in the past few days, you can feel the eggs in her stomach if she is gravid. Also if she has been digging usually they will lay about three days after they first start digging.

The eggs can be incubated or just put in a container with vermiculite mix & kept at room temps between 20-28 degrees are ideal, they benefit from fluctuating temps.

Okay, we have some of that Vermiculite mix. So when shes laid them, do I just take them out? Sorry, I've just never had to do this before, since last year I didn't even realise. D:

She was sitting in a hole that she'd dug under a stumpy thing I have in her cage that's made of plastic, and she's hanging off the side of the wall at the moment, which is made of this Styrofoam-ish stuff.

I really hope she is pregnant again, I want to raise some more Angles! :D

Thanks for telling me that fluctuating temperatures are beneficial, otherwise I would have tried to just keep the temperature constant.

Weight the vermiculite in a container, then way the same amount of water + alittle dash more water & mix with vermiculite. Then pick your eggs out carefully you don't want to turn the eggs, so be carefully when you uncover them. Place the the same way up as she buried them in the container with the vermiculite, half bury them, place gladwrap over the top, then the lid with two small holes in it ontop of that. Don't open the container for 4weeks then open it once every week or so to let fresh air in for a sec. Its just what I do & it seems to work, I've bred Angle-headed dragons, Boyds, knobtail geckos & water dragons that way. Obviously they where all at different temps though.

Okay, got that all written down, just one question.

Just make sure you have one or two holes in the lid & cover them with cladwrap.

When I put the holes in the container, do I then cover it with Gladwrap? And what purpose would that serve?

Edited my post above, its meant to help with gas exchange but retain humidity.

Say you had 80g of vermiculite in the container, I'd put 120g of water. Hope that helps!

Also Dylan you wont have to take the Male out of the enclosure, i keep the males in with my Females when they lay and have had no problems.

Oh okay Mr.Boyd, yeah that makes sense now. Thanks so much for all your help, it's been great!

And Jinin, okay cool. I never separate them, they're just so good together. :D
When I feed them I make sure they both eat enough before I leave them.

Just had a feel of her stomach; couldn't feel anything.

Oh well.

I also read that when it's warmer they want to breed more? Is this true or not?

If it is true, should I put a bit of heat on them? Nothing over 26 degrees though, since they prefer a 16-26degree environment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back