Animal Cruelty in China

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It wouldn't matter if the tortoises were an invasive, harmful species - the point I was making was, quite often, as humans, we give the cute widdle tortoise the benefit above the ugly toad... Or the roach...

My point wasn't about the invasiveness, the harmfulness or even the amount of damage these animals do. Possums are really cute (those big eyes, bushy tails, they make my heart go all gooey) - but I hate them in NZ! They're destructive, invasive pests... But I wouldn't be putting them in a bag and selling them. Nor smashing them with golf clubs. A bullet is usually all it takes, but we don't let them suffer.

The point is clear... Some people have double standards - and I've brought this up in a number of topics, especially cane toad ones. Despite the toad being incredibly ugly and dangerously toxic, doesn't give people the right to torture it....

A golf club to the head isn't torture, it's almost instantaneous..a helluva lot more humane than the other alternatives, IMO. No, one of the alternatives is not shooting. I can just see the headlines if I went out there and pumped 100 000 rounds into the toads in the street. Invasiveness may not have been your point, but it has to be a consideration- when you've seen the impact they have log term first hand, you're happy to see them go any way at all...but no, torture is never acceptable.

Anyway, it's raining, I might go practice my swing. FORE.

An observation I've made...... someone mentioned the Bible and God creating man to be master over animals...or something like that. Next thing I see is someone putting the person down for what they believe...yet the person who believes does not put the non believer down. I don't think it's fair, that a either person has the right to put down the other, we are all entitled to believe what we like about life without being put down by anyone else.

Thanks so much for the support grannieannie :)
I haven to believe in God and it realy gets me when people mock us and abuse us
It is just as bad abusing a dog or cat or reptile, and they are all againest that,

For those of you that are being so blatantly naive about animal cruelty on all levels, I ask you this one and simple question..

How can you possibly think it is alright or humane to slaughter a cow/chicken/sheep etc. and eat it (might i add that this extent of cruelty is happening in Aus. slaughter houses) but if offered something that you consider cute such as a possum/cat/koala/panda you will refuse and act astonished that someone could harm such an animal.

At least with the asians they eat all animals and dont contradict their own views on cruelty.

PIG HEADED WESTERN SOCIETY WILL BE THE DEATH OF HUMANITY

Western society, eh? I wonder how the Tibetans, Sudanese, Israelis and the dead at Choeung Ek feel about that.

And don't get me started on the 'meat is murder' rubbish. I'll discuss how humans aren't 'meant' to eat meat when you show me a cave painting of a celery hunt.

It is just as bad abusing a dog or cat or reptile, and they are all againest that,

Nah, not the same- dogs and cats dont quote bible verse as a way of proving their puerile arguments. If they did, they'd be out in the rain, too.

Last edited:
For those of you that are being so blatantly naive about animal cruelty on all levels, I ask you this one and simple question..

How can you possibly think it is alright or humane to slaughter a cow/chicken/sheep etc. and eat it (might i add that this extent of cruelty is happening in Aus. slaughter houses) but if offered something that you consider cute such as a possum/cat/koala/panda you will refuse and act astonished that someone could harm such an animal.

At least with the asians they eat all animals and dont contradict their own views on cruelty.

ok sebothere,
do you work in a slaughter house or have ever been in one while they are operating ?
Australia has tight regulations on how things are done and it is done well
The suffering may be for a mere second of the inital shock but then unconsciousness proceeds immediatly

In relatation to the person question the bolt gun,
With us it is used for cattle and its just a explosive cap that drives a metal bolt into the back of the head an immediate death/unconsciousness follows

I disagree, i think everyone's beliefs should be open to challenge.

Challenge yes but abuse is not a challenge it is abuse, a challenge is asking questions and seeing if that persons faith is consistent with the evidence.

Maybe you guys should read Genesis 1:26 just to remind yourselves.

I'm not saying that what is happening to animals around the world isn't cruel, I totally agree with you but in terms of livestock they are to benefit us but how we are dealing with some of the livestock is cruelty. It will continue to do so because no government around the world gives a stuff about animal rights and prefer to spend millions of dollars on new cars and big planes.

I agree 100% with you :)

I've eaten possum before, was tasty enough, a bit tough because it didn't die in the most ideal circumstances.

I'd give Panda a try if I was in the right place at the right time and it was available.........it's all meat and I'm an omnivore, I doubt I'd eat Koala, I imagine it'd just taste like those eucalyptus lollies ughh

while it is ok to eat all animals it is not ok to either kill them slowly or with cruelty
western society does have a lot to answer for but so does every other society on earth

As a strong believer in vegetarianism I could beg to differ. Probably best to not get started on what I believe to be right and wrong with this matter. :s

As a strong believer in vegetarianism I could beg to differ.

I'm genuinely interested on your views on why it is not ok to eat animals. I'm not meaning to attack your views, i'm just curious with how you reconcile this with our naturally being omnivorous?

Would a vegetarian then not use petrol? I'm fairly sure oil comes from dead animals....

That aside...

Clubbing a toad and killing a toad are two completely different things - but that's another thread....

This thread is about bagging animals... And my thoughts on that are pretty straight up - it shouldn't be done...

But unfortunately, my saying my piece did not save a turtle...

Joaquin Phoenix - "Earthlings"
Great doco on animal cruelty
Earthlings (part 1) HQ - YouTube

Specks this is a video for you and anyone else that thinks that such cruelty doesn't happen in our country.

Extreme animal cruelty in Australia *WARNING EXTREMELY GRAPHIC IMAGES OF ANIMAL CRUELTY* - YouTube

I'm sure I could write a great response in which you would all rattle on about how I'm so incredibly wrong and how humans were "made" to eat meat, that it has been happening since the start of man kind etc etc.
However this will just work me up as I am a vegetarian born and raised just like you were raised on meat so you can understand my strong belief on this issue.

All I will say is each to their own however this thread is about being cruel to animals not eating them.

Seb

I have seen this film, but i was interested in your views personally. I don't think the implication behind 'you would all rattle on about how I'm so incredibly wrong and how humans were "made" to eat meat, that it has been happening since the start of man kind' was really necessary... As i said, i was simply interested in your personal views.

I have been hassled since day one about it..

I believe it's not about what we were made to do but what we as individuals believe is right.
and for me this is not supporting in anyway the death of animals to be consumed. When people comment back with things like..
"show me a cave painting of a celery hunt."
This is just ridiculous, they hunted for their food and ate what needed to be consumed. There was not mass slaughter and torture going on.

But littlemay for me it's just about the necessity to kill these animals, I am happy and healthy living off my vegetables, I just can't see how anyone can justify the need to kill these creatures. I COULD go into it but at this time I can't really be pooped to be honest.

Yes whay they and many other people are doing is cruel but it is unstoppable, therefore needless for someone to show it, killing of any animal unless for reasonable cause is wrong and uncalled for.
Reasonable cause being food, medicine, pest and disease eradication and pleasure/recreation etc.
I live on a farm and as such life and death is looked at different to city folk, if im hungry and the rooster crows at 4 in the morning he becomes dinner.
If an animal gets hurt or injured and can nolonger perform there farm duty they are shot and eaten by ourselves or the other animals.
I breed horses, i think there lovely kind natured animals easily named because they have personality and they taste good. I have eaten snakes after they have died for different reasons, road kill etc. They taste awsome as well.
As for sheep and cattle, if we didnt eat them they wouldnt be in the world, same as the mice and rats you feed your snakes or are the vegies going to vegetarianise there snakes. If an animal is bred and reared in humane circumstances and is slaughtered and butchered humanly then no one should feel guilty about eating it, it has forfilled its lifes work(the nourishment of others). When im dead and buried something will hopefully eat me(although it would have to wash mouth out afterwards) its the circle of life of which i am happy to be a member>

I see nothing wrong with this...I mean the only reason animals exist in the first place is because God thought humans would be bored being by ourselves..So he gave us a various assortment of million of creatures (including millions of insects and microscopic things) to lord over and do our bidding...Unfortunately some of these animals like Crocodiles are getting out of line and are going against there god ordained rulers...So we need to teach them a lesson and machine gun them into submission...Grace of God be with us!!!!!!!!!!!

i hate people. give me an animal any day. atleast they know what they truly are. they no they are warm or cold. hungry or thirsty. mother or father. they only kill when necessesary. i have never seen a cruel animal. a sadistic animal or a selfish animal.

Have you ever watched a cat play with its prey until it dies, only to abandon it without eating it?

Not even gonna go there....

Have you ever watched a cat play with its prey until it dies, only to abandon it without eating it?

Yea psychopathic traits are EXTREMELY common in nature....And also much more common in Humans than most people would like to admit (just look at history...Men more so than Women)

I don't think Humans are any worse/better than any other animal on this earth...because we ARE animals....And I don't think humans are any more or less wasteful/cruel/selfish than any other creature either...We just have the mental capacity to be wasteful and destructive and selfish on a much larger and more destructive scale...A bear can fish for Salmon...decide to eat only 2 percent of the fish and then wastefully discard it with out a care in the world...Humans with our superior brainpower can fish out an entire ecosystem....dump toxic waste into the ocean etc....Both actions are equally as wasteful but we have the mental capacity to do it on a much larger and more destructive scale...But we are no worse or better than the rest of the animal kingdom in this regard at all...If any other animal species had the brain power that we do they would be every bit as destructive.

I do think parasitic organisms are the lowest of the low through....Their entire evolutionary history is just based on exploiting an animal for their gain....They are way worse than any free living organism.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back