Anorexic Baby Diamond

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gabim

Reaction score
Hello everyone!
Am new to this site and would need some URGENT advice. Have had pythons for a while but recently bought a baby diamond and water. The water is great - eating like crazy but the diamond hasn't eaten now for 4 weeks. At the pet shop they said that he was eating well on 2 pinkies a week but at home he wont touch them. He shed 3 weeks ago and I thought that was it but he still wont take food. Cage temp etc seems all fine and he seems to be getting skinnier & skinnier (while the water gets fatter & fatter).I have wasted quite a few mice trying to feed the diamond. would anyone have any ideas that could help. would be greatly appreciated!!! :(

Give us a few more details about your setup etc, sometimes if a snake doesn't like the new home it will stress and go off it's food.

try braining a pinkie. bore a hole in its head then smear some blood/brain over it. sometimes works. leave it in the dark with it awhile. goodluck. :wink:

Have tried braining the pinkie (it was gross!) and he didn't look at it either. He is in a 4ft enclosure at 27 degrees C with 2hide logs and large water dish, plastic plants and fluro light. Had diamond in this enclosure before and everything was ok. Humidity is also fine around 50-60%. Also tried rubbing the pinkie in fish, chicken but still wont look at it! :(

I had a Diamond similar to yours. Tried a live fuzzy? Don't bother with a pinkies, it's the movement of the fuzzy that gets them going.

4 ft enclosure might be too big and freaking him out? provide extra hides or try a smaller enclosure like click clack container or similar with heatmat under half. (or half under heat lamp etc) whats fine for one snake, might not be for another, different strokes ,different folks.

Im with instar on this one, i think the enclusure is too big and it is freaking the little guy out a bit. Try him in something smaller and ina day or so try and feed again. And make sure you dont have any skin to prey contact as your skin scent might be turning the snake off.
cheers, Alan.

Thanks everyone.Will try the smaller enclosure and see what happens. will keep you posted!! :D :lol:

Yep definately freaking out in such a big enclosure,but if the snake is wasting away fast, then it's a sure sign of flagulettes.Which is common in pet stores due to poor hygeine. .01ml of Flagyl would be a good idea once a day for 2 weeks as if the snake has flagulettes then it has a pain in the belly and won't want to eat.Just cause the pet store said it was eating don't mean it's true.They probably wanted to get rid of it before it cost them money.A fecal exam at the vet will show if there is a problem. Try all the above methods but if the snake looks like starving to death the last resort of (where's my asbestos shield?) a garden skink or 3 just to get the snake eating again,then try hopper mice or pierced pinky.Hope this has helped, I know these methods have worked for me and iluvsmydiamonds tee hee hee.

in such big cage we found it a good idea to chuck in shreaded paper, you can buy a shredder from office works for around the $30 mark, its nothing fancy but does the trick. Seems to draw the little buggers out if they feel they are always hidden.

Isn't it against the law to sell animals that are not feeding? did u actually ever witness the snake eating in the first place?

what pet shop was it? pm me with the name.

maybe i got it wrong then, maybe its breeder's don't like to sell unless the young are feeding..........

but then again the breeder can offload a troublesome young which is not feeding, and its less for them to worry about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back