Another Beardie question.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Greenbeard

Reaction score
Hi guys, I am new here, and new to reptiles. I am getting a Beardie hatchie and have heard diffrent answers to the same question depending on who I talk to.
The question is can I put a juvenile in a 4x2x2 tank....or will he/she have to be in a smaller enclosure until sub-adulthood?
If anyone can straighten this out for me it would be appreciated.
Cheers, Matt.

Hey matt

I was also new to this a year ago and believe me didnt have a clue what i was doing.
you definitely learn from experience so keep that in mind.

as for the tank.

my tank i got from a reptile shop round where i live and the owner of the shop sold me the beardy and the set up and told me that the enclosure will last the beardies entire life.
even now he has said that i will be getting a bigger one for her just because i want her to have more space.

whatever size enclosure you get will most likely be fine.
if its big they just have more room and alot more to explore.
saying that ive heard they can get stressed by large enclosure but can also be stressed being in an enclosure to small.

depends what age you get them aswel.
i got mine at 4 months old and she settled into a Height of 69cm and width of 61cm tank quite well.

hope this helped also if your still not sure.
i got all my information from my research+breeder which i bought the beardy off.

all information says a beardy should have a tank twice the size of the length of their body but thats a minimum

hope i helped

Too big an enclosure can cause problems for hatchlings as they cannot get close enough to the UV or heat. Keep this in mind.

I'm putting our young 'un into a 4 x 2 x 2. Make sure there aren't lots of hides - if he feels scared, he might hide rather than go under UV. Many people suggest not having any hides for the first few weeks.

Make sure you use a good substrate like tiles or newspaper.

We are setting up our 4 x 2 x 2 with UV and Heat up one end, a bright viewing light up the other end, shallow water in the cool end, and a nice branch for climbing under his UV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back