Another couple of questions?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Justin Kace

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I have another very important question to ask now, and also would like to reiterate my question regarding transporting snakes on trains (as opposed to snakes on planes?). Are there rules against such behaviour and is it an acceptable mode of snake transport (from the snake's point of view)? I have no private means of transport other than my legs and feet!

But the ultra important question is.... What do you do with your snake if you go on holiday?! Are there snake shelters? Or does one have to make friends in the herp circles so they can impose their snake upon another snake enthusiast? Are snake ownership and holidays away mutually exclusive?!?!

Thanks!

JK

mmmm not sure about the train idea.... but as for holidays well depends on how long you are away. One to two weeks and you can just leave them be at home, just make sure he/she cant get out of the enclosure and that you give fresh water and feed them b4 you go. If you go for longer then just get a mate to check in on them and change there water and stuff.

I've picked up a few snakes and transported them home by train and/or taxi, no probs there.

As long as they have water and heat snakes can survive for a long time, can you get someone to fill all the water bowls and check light bulbs once a week at least?

Oh ok, thanks guys. I haven't even got my new critter yet and I'm already getting quite anxious about leaving him.

The problem is, I want to get a snake asap, but my gf and I have a 3 month holiday planned for early next year. My impulse to get into this new and exciting realm is warring with my worry about leaving my new baby to the tender mercies of another person for that long. Even the thought of a couple of weeks has me worried. I know that they are about as accommodating a pet as can be when it comes to time between feeding, but I'd be scared of something else happening, like heat mats failing or snake's wriggling themselves into uncompromising positions... I've already read a few sad tales on this sight... :(

Thanks Rennie... I have the theme from four rooms in my head now.... :p

JK

Where abouts do you live???

Im wondering about the train thing aswell as i may have to transport a snake from the airport if i cant find any other way:|

The train question - So you have a lunch box with holes in the top - no one will know it's a snake in there.

But yes, 3 months is a little extreme.

Maybe you could look for someone on this site who lives local to you and perhaps offer them a small remuneration for their services and they will feed your snake and keep it well watered for the 3 months you're choosing to be away.

Well, good luck wiht that!

Cheers

Paul

Yeah i wouldnt mind looking after it for you....but im pretty sure your from melb ay so thats a no goer.

Put off getting a snake until after your holiday. Problem solved. Becareful taking it on public transport, if someone sees it or hears you have it you might just get your licence revoked and your snake taken off you. It is actually illegal to have your reptiles out in public without a exhibitors licence. If you kept it in a transport container out of site you should be fine.

Put off getting a snake until after your holiday. Problem solved. Becareful taking it on public transport, if someone sees it or hears you have it you might just get your licence revoked and your snake taken off you. It is actually illegal to have your reptiles out in public without a exhibitors licence. If you kept it in a transport container out of site you should be fine.

So how are you supposed to get it home?
Check your licence conditions again. I know you can also take it out for a herp show competition or the vet, I'm sure you can also take it home however you have to or take it somewhere to sell it.

Read my post slowly Rennie. Especially the last line. Sometimes people are tempted to take their new reps out to look at or show off with.

Last edited:
Put off getting a snake until after your holiday. Problem solved.
The holiday isnt untill next year which is a hell of a long time to put it off in my eyes.
Someone on here should be kind enough to take care of it ( i would if i could but pretty sure hes in vic).

Sorry, I must've stopped reading it just before the end. It was just that this sentence seemed a bit too broad "It is actually illegal to have your reptiles out in public without a exhibitors licence." I wanted to point out that there are exceptions.

Well rennie read thing properly before having a go at someone for their post....... might be a
good idea.

Thank you all for your help!

I did wonder if it would be a violation of the basic licence to take your pet on public transport. The only other option though (walking to from Melbourne to ballarat and back) is a tad unrealistic, so I think I would have to transport my new darling in a click-clack (is that the right terminology?). I guess even if it was opaque or even better, completely non-seethrough, it would still be obvious it was an animal, but not what type, so it'd probably be ok.

Yes, to those who asked, I am in Melbourne. In Moonee Ponds.

Seems there are mixed reactions on wether or not I should leave my purchase til after my holiday... But I've thought about it a bit more and pretty much made up my own mind. If I can find two people who will offer to look after the critter for me, as I'd want a backup just in case, then I'll go ahead and work towards becoming an owner. Otherwise I'll just put in some much needed practise at being patient!! I haven't a clue what would be considered reasonable renumeration for this service, but a number that springs to mind is $100 a month plus expenses. How does that sound to the experienced snake-carers?

JK

Just put a radioactive sticker over it, keep it in a white cooler, no one will suspect a thing - nor will they ask you to open it... :p

Like I said tho, APS members are some of the nicest in the world. I bet someone would give you a lift to pick up your snake for a little petrol dosh... and I bet you could find someone to look after your snake too for 3 months... I myself would help you... but you'll have to swing by Cairns first sorry... But seriously... I bet someone will give you help :)

It looks like on the previous pages there's the options for help...

I know it's tough without a car. I was without a car for over a year... But I used to cycle everywhere or my boss (also interested in snakes) would take me to pick up the snakes, enclosures etc!

Good luck tho... Keen to hear a happy outcome here.

Lol, brilliant idea! :) Thanks too, for the words of encouragement!

I'll leave it at that for now I think, and post an add when I am actually fully prepared for be a snake owner...

JK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back