Another feeding question, sorry!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shell477

Reaction score
Now- Im trying to not make this another 'help my snake isnt eating thread'.

im well aware of why snakes wont eat etc.

I purely want to know:

If a snake goes off food, will they still attack the food and restrict it? If so, why.

Tried to feed my coastal today. He has grabbed the rat and constricted him, then after a while let him go. So i pick the rat up and dangle it again, and he grabs the rat again, restricts it again, then after a while, lets go and not interested.

Over 6 hours i have done this 5 times with him.

So each time he has a healthy feeding response, but then just wont actually EAT the rat.

I dont even think i want an answer to this. I think im just venting.

Maybe up the temp of the rat a fraction
Also sometimes helps to keep hold of the tail and actually make the snake fight a bit to get its tucker
usually seem to scoff it then

I thawed the rat out overnight in the fridge then warmed it in hot water. Is it safe to warm it up a second time? It has been in the tub for 6 hours.

This sometimes happens. Don't worry. It may be due to the time of year, or even the smell of the rat. The snake is excited enough to grab it, but instinctively knows not to swallow something it can't digest, if it's feeling the winter chill coming on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back