Another Newbie!!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trace

Reaction score
Hi All!

Im Trace, Im 26 and a mum to a 2 year old boy.

I am only VERY new to this whole reptile thing.....VERY, VERY new. Still very cautious of the whole thing actually! I've always been a horsey gal! So slightly different!!

My partner is wanting to get a snake - I know him well enough to know that it will be one of those things that he will take his time getting to. He is currently looking into getting his licence now. So Im thinking of buying it all for him (obviously I;d have to get my licence too) for xmas. Any info on set-ups for beginners and snakes in which are good to start out with - especially as Im still a tad on the nervous side of it all - would be greatly appreciated!!

Im going to go have a look around now!

Welcome trace,

There is a search function which will pretty much lead you to most of your answers, however the main thing to aknowledge when keeping reptiles is they need warmth for digestion, once you get your first it won't be your last.

goodluck PK

welcome to APS.
just thought id let you know that if your partner gets his license then you would be able to buy the snake under his and dont need to pay for two.

hi trace
1st u need 2 think wot type of snake u want. big or small when it matured. getting a big snake probably means uppgrading its enclosure a cpl of times through its life. so then think of wot amount u have to spend. hope u end up with ur 1st snake real soon. cheers

Welcome to aussie pythons
i dont think that you are allowed 2 licences in the same household though, might be something to look up. personally i would recommend a spotted for a begginer because the grow up to be around a metre and they can have some good temperments just need to put the effort in to handling them and heating is major for any type of reptile because they are ectothermic which means they rely on an external heat souce so whateva the temp. of the environment is the snake will maintaine tht temp. , they need heat for digestion
good luck

Hi Trace - you are in a similar situation to me - I am a 29 yo mum with a 3.5 yo and I have just got into snakes! When I took my daughter up to the Australian Reptile Park near Gosford a year ago I was terrified of snakes! I handled a Stimson's python and a corn snake at the reptile show there and I fell in love - went home and started researching them straight away. I put a deposit on my first snake 3 days later, now we have 2 pythons and we are planning half a dozen more!!! I was the first one in the family to become keen on snakes, but now my husband and daughter love them as well. Our daughter has requested a Diamond Python for her 10th birthday as soon as she can get her own reptile licence! She is really confident handling our Stimmie and just loves her.

One of the Antaresia pythons is a great starter snake; Children's Pythons, Spotted Pythons and Stimson's Pythons. There is heaps of info on them on APS. They require a smallish enclosure, they don't get bigger than about 1metre and they are pretty easy to care for, providing you get one that is feeding well.

Check out www.snakeranch.com.au Kane offers loads of advice and support for new owners and they have some great deals on atm! I have got both of my pythons from them and they are fantastic.

Good luck and please PM me if you have any questions!

Hey there :)

Im only new too!! So I can't really say welcome, but I will say see you around Im sure you will get over your fear when you start looking into it some more

Take Care

I would advise that since you don't have a snake yet, it would be good to set up the enclosure prior to purchasing. That way you can check the Max/Min temps over a period. So when you purchase you new pride and joy, the last thing you need to worry about is the enclosure. As to your choice, ask questions. Since it is something that you will be living with for some time, choose one that you like, and that has a temprament that is OK with you.

You will never be short of peple willing to give you their ideas...... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back