Another Pet Shop Complaint

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dicco

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I just went to 'Better Buys Pets & Accesories' at Bundamba in Ipswich to get some crickets for my sick beardie, but I'm stupid for not checking them first. They've been there so long the carrots have started to decompose and there are small maggots crawling in them! Not only that but they cost $6.60 and only 8 were still alive! :evil: But the crickets arn't my main consern, this place also carries reptiles, I had a quick look in their reptile room and they have a bank of enclosures and each individual enclosure isn't much more than 1 foot long by 1 foot wide and each have at least 4 or 5 bluies in them which themselves were almost a foot long. They also had a 20cm+ murry short neck, a 15cm+ saw shell and five more murry turtles smaller then 5cm in a 2 and a half foot tank, and also carry childreni and beardies. And not one enclosure (with the exception of the turtle tank) had either heating or lighting of any kind!! :evil: :evil: I usually don't go there but the only other place that sell crickets near me is out, but as I said I'm stupid for not looking at them first.

Report them or go and say something to the owner.

Yep, nothing ever gets done about these situations unless someone has the nerve to say something about it.

its sad but this kind of thing happens all over australia - makes ya damn mad doesn't it.

Sometimes direct action is the fastest and best, the authorities could take a while to figure it out etc etc. Sometimes a quit word won't do any harm at all.

U live near there dicco? so do i. i'm like 10 min from that place. collingwood park.

I'll have a polite talk with the owner first and yeah pete, I live in East Ipswich, and do you work at the Redbank plaza Macca's by any chance?

I just don't go in to pet shops anymore.............

When I was in QLD none sold reptiles at the time (as this is only a new thing this year), but I saw how terribly the spiders and scorpions were kept. I wrote letters, I dropped in caresheets, talked to the owners, but none worked :( . Of course, RSPCA didn't want to know anything about it. Why I started captive breeding tarantulas was because of these pet stores. They way the arachnids were kept was in a terrible condition, and I was not surprised to find very few of them survived there for very long :( . Nothing I said or did worked, so now, I just don't go in there, it's too upsetting :(

Dicco, I buy a lot of crix when I am not breeding my own, and get mine from www.animalattraction.com.au when I need them, as the pet shop ones aren't worth a second look, especially this time of year when it is hot. I found I got healthy ones from this website that were delivered rather quickly.

It's terrible but a hard reality. Most pet shop owners are after the money and they don't take the care of the animals in account. The result is poor hygiene, parasite infested animals, sick animals being sold and wrong information given. Somehow it is nice to buy reptiles in a shop, but mostly you'd be better of buying from a private breeder that loves the animals he/she works with. As for the live food, check your crickets or buy directly from the supplier.

Dicco said:
I'll have a polite talk with the owner first and yeah pete, I live in East Ipswich, and do you work at the Redbank plaza Macca's by any chance?

i have been for the last 4 days, though usually i'm in goodna maccas. u wanna meet up at the plaza some time? i live only 10 min walk from the plaza.

OK i'll b waiting mate. though i'm watching tv so i keep leaving the comp. b patient.

desertexplorer what is that in your avater? a beardy??

I would always go to the authorities because a nice quick chat may fix the problem, but who knows if this person also has snakes at home which are kept in poor conditions. It is better to suprise someone doing the wrong thing than basically pre-warn them. JMO :)

Samma3l said:
Theres great herping spots out the back of collingwood park/Redbank esp out on the tracks where the coal mines are

Yeah, but if Collingwood Park Estate and all the other developers get their way there won't be much left. The amount there clearing is just wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back