Another Spider Question!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DanTheReptileMan

Reaction score
Another spider question sorry lol
I have alot of these tunnels in the ground coverd by a thin layer of web, they are mostly around the creek behind my house in a rainforest sort of thing, anyone know what it could be? they range in size, most about 25-30cm wide, and sometimes in places the ground is coverd in them, and in banks too?
oh im on the sunny coast btw
thanks!
Ozz.jpg

I mate ,not sure what species these belong too.
Any chance you could dig one up and take a few pics of the spiders.
I keep alot of different tarantula sp so i am very interested to see what they are.

Looks like it could be a species of funnell webb.

Thats what i thhaught but herd that they arent that common round here

I tried to dig this one up i took a pic of and found nothing, it went quite deep, then a few days later it had fixed its tunnel up so must go quite deep, but tomorrw ill find i big one and dig it up carefully and post a pic of my find
thanks for the help guys

Iv found a few species of funnell webb around the gold coast before so i would imagine they are around your area too, they are really quite common in moist rainforest areas.

hahaha oh sorry guys yea i mean 25-30mm!! not cm lol
yea this are is quite moist
even though its sort of in the middle of suburbia iv found a keelback in there and the area is never touched by anyone except me so its possible they could be funnel webs
i hope so!
whatever it is do they ever come out of their funnels?

Im looking at the Wildlife of greater Brisbane book, and it looks to be a Funnel-wed. They are found in cool, dark moist areas-litter, staghorns, ferns, and logs.

Have u tried inticing it out. I found a largish burrow with lid in my vegepatch so i grabbed a small twigg and made taps on the ground surrounding the area. The lid flew open and a lovely trapdoor came out to see me:shock: You could slowly touch the web with a longish but thin twigg to create the sense of a trapped insect. Be careful though.

yea i tried that but i think i need to be more gentle as i probly simulated something too big
will try all of these 2moro
thanks for the help guys
will keep you posted

either a trapdoor, funnelweb or mouse spider. Funnelwebs are pretty common on the sunshine coast and so are trapdoors, mouse spiders are a little more uncommon. When you tease it out have a spade to block off its escape otherwise it will go straight back down its tunnel. When your teasing it out make sure your very still and quiet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back