Antfreak is here ;)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Antfreak

Reaction score
Hello people,

I'm from Germany and indeed hold no reptiles, but other interesting animals!
My favorite animals are like my user name says ants! Particularly interesting for me was the Jack Jumper Ants as they are called among you in Australia or the Latin name Myrmecia pavida ...
For you, there are probably only annoying pests, but I am working closely with the keeping of them in a terrarium.
I've logged on here to ask if someone could make a couple of pictures so I can see how the nests of the great animal in nature, like, maybe even a video there?
And it would also be nice if you write where you come from and whether there is the Jack jumper with you?

I'm already looking forward to your answers!
I wish you all the best from Germany!

Greetings
Antfreak

***And sorry for my bad englisch ;)

Hello people,

I'm from Germany and indeed hold no reptiles, but other interesting animals!
My favorite animals are like my user name says ants! Particularly interesting for me was the Jack Jumper Ants as they are called among you in Australia or the Latin name Myrmecia pavida ...
For you, there are probably only annoying pests, but I am working closely with the keeping of them in a terrarium.
I've logged on here to ask if someone could make a couple of pictures so I can see how the nests of the great animal in nature, like, maybe even a video there?
And it would also be nice if you write where you come from and whether there is the Jack jumper with you?

I'm already looking forward to your answers!
I wish you all the best from Germany!

Greetings
Antfreak

***And sorry for my bad englisch ;)

Hi and welcome :)

I hope somebody can help you out with some photographs. There are many photographs to be found on the Internet already also.

They occupy underground nests and the outward appearance depends greatly on the exact location (some found under rocks and branches, some in the open dirt/sand).

Worse than annoying, Jumper ants have strong venom (as you may well know) and of those stung it is estimated that around 3% have an allergic reaction with half of those proving potentially fatal. They occur in every state and the Australian Capital Territory.

Best of luck with your research :)

Welcome mate,

I have lived in South East Queensland for 30 years and never seen one. I think they occur more down south like Tasmania and Victoria so maybe some people from down that way can help you.

Good Luck
Andy

Hey you two,

I once had a worker from a friend to get to photograph them.
She has stabbed me in the finger, has indeed done in the first 5 minutes hurt, but then it went and after 20 minutes the pain was completely gone for good luck!
Let's see if there is someone who has the animals with him in his town, or even in your own garden;)
I'm really excited!

See you later!

Antfreak

Don't you think you would be better off joining an insect forum?

Hey Antfreak,

I'm in Melbourne, Victoria and we have quite a few Myrmecia on our property. We even get them in the house occasionally! Here's one that was found in my kitchen :lol:

196289_10150182036437604_1654813_n_zps4ce4637d.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello,

I have already searched for an Australian insect forum, but I am not able to find!
Maybe you have a link for me?
@ Valley, your photo is super nice! I'm really jealous that I was not such a great Geshöpfe in my front yard have ^ _ ^
I have time on your way Myrmecia brevinoda you can certainly times googling the name, yes, and compare, but I'm pretty sure there :)
I will write to you again with a private message ;)
If there is more Fünde, please post here!

Best wishes and see you later!

Hi again Antfreak :)

In regards a better suited forum, you may like to try the Australian inverts forum which I will pm you a link to. They have a section for ants there and many people who are quite into them and will be able to provide you with further info and pics.

Glad you like the pic, there are actually a number of different species in our yard, I'm the only 'crazy' person interested in them though :lol:

Check your PM for the link and sign up to the forum :)

Cheers and all the best in your endeavours,
Thalia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back