Ants in Woodie Colony

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PhilK

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Well the title says it all. One of the two woodie colonies I have has an ant problem.. They're eating the woodies food (love the apple). Clearly I can't blast them with Mortein.. What can I do?

Get as many woodies as you can out, then clean there bin/tub out and start again... The only other thing i can think of is ant sugar, but the woodies would most likely eat that to as they eat anything.

Hmmm that's not really practical. I have 1000s of them, and a lot of them are tiny...

Thinking about balancing the colony on containers standing in water. That'll strand the ants already in there, and prevent more from arriving..

Thoughts?

Might work, but the ants will get hungry and eat your woodies. Then again, a worker ant would most likely die quicker then a woodie would.

I had the same problem a couple weeks ago I put the container on a couple blocks under the center to balance it
then spent half an hour squashing the ants as they tryed to get out.. They havn't been back since but if they do turn up i'll try the water thing sounds like it would work too.

Mike.

Just put fluon or vaseline aroud the outside to stop them climbing in. Using a moat like you suggest would work too.

I have the same problem ...I will start a new clean bin and salvage as many woodies as I can
the anty woodies can go to my water dragons
I used to have a thin band of vaseline around the top of the plastic woodie bin to keep woodies in and I guess that stopped the ants invading...but maintaining the poor woodies is the last thing on the list of things to do here.
I thought if I sprayed around the outside of the woodie bin that would stop the ants in their tracks....but if a few get through they would carry the poison (Off insect repellent) into the woodie colony.

yeah i have been wiped of crix... then i found the lil bastard ransacking my angle headed enclosure.....

lil pricks and i have no idea how the hell they got in there!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back