Any ideas??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaide03

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I have 4 Northern GTF and they all have been doing extremely well until about 4 days ago when one of the frogs looked like he was having troubles doing a poo (I am unsure if it looks like he is having troubles or that is just how they poo) and he has not eaten anything for about the 4 days. I was not to concerned as I thought maybe he was eating but later at night when I was not around, but the thing is now he is starting to look a bit on the thin side and has lost weight. Any ideas as to try and feed him by hand? Apart from the above he still looks healthy and gets along fine.

what are you keeping them on, the substrait,??
ive never assist fed a frog before but i spose it could be done..how old are they?
what are they eating and are they getting calcium supplement?
baz

They are getting heaps of calcium and at the moment I have a thick piece of foam/rubber on the bottom as I found pebbles were to had to clean. Their home is cleaned out every 2nd day and everything is cleaned with hot boiling water etc. They are probably 1/2 grown.

they might be stressed .if you are cleaning the whole cage every couple of days they may not be able to settle,maybe leave them alone with the crix in there for a week.jmo

Okay I will try that. Only the one is not doing so well all the others are doing great.

Maybe segregate him to eat alone...then you can monitor how he's doing better.

What are you feeding them? You should try vary their diet (we have one who won't eat anything but crickets, and one who'll eat anything you put in front of her nose LOL). Maybe offer him an alternative...he might have a preference for something else (or be sick of the same food all the time)...

I'm no expert, but thats what I would do in your situation.

Thanks for that, any information is great. I feed them crickets. I have a spare aquarium that I will set up and see how he goes. I am hoping he does not die!! What else would you feed him. I do have woodies as I feed them to my Western Beardies

Thanks for that, any information is great. I feed them crickets. I have a spare aquarium that I will set up and see how he goes. I am hoping he does not die!! What else would you feed him. I do have woodies as I feed them to my Western Beardies

I have put him in a seperate enclosure, but he seems to be trying to do a poo but he can't get it out (trying not to be disturbing), but before 4 - 5 days ago he was eating and pooing fine, now he seems to be having a lot of troubles. Any suggestions?

You said your feeding them plenty of calcium. I don't know if this relates, but please see as follows:

I know of people that have been on camps where they are supplied with ration packs. At the begining of the camp everyone eats the cheese to 'clog' them up (plenty of calcium in that). This saves them from having to have a dump for the weekend. (There are no toilets on these camps) Then at the end they eat the chococlate from their ration pack to empty themselves out.

Perhaps this directly relates to your frog problems?

Don't take this as advice as I have never kept GTF, nor do I have much knowledge in digestive systems...
Might be something to consider.

Thats pretty funny!! You may have a point - I really don't know!!

Mealworms are good every now and then...they're quite fatty I'm told- so I don't give mine to many of them LOL!

You can give them small softer shelled roaches I believe as well...I've not tried those though...

To feed our frogs- I always take them out of their enclosure, as we have water in there and the crickets like to drown LOL! I can also monitor who's eating what, and how much. I just put a cup full of water in the bottom of the feed tank (so they don't get too dry and hurt themselves) its a 24" by 12" tank. Adjust it to suit your spare aquarium. Mine love to be able to jump around and catch their meals...they are hilarious to watch- I love the hand stuffing thing they do if the food isn't all the way in their mouth!

Hope this helps :)

I put crickets in the enclosure and they catch them no worries, like I said it is just the one I am now having troubles with and he has lost weight.

I have. He is not interested. He climbs around in the enclosure gets into the water ok but he still tries to do a poo, but is having heaps of troubles. I have tried putting him in warm water to soak to see if that helps but he still is having troubles as well as not eating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back