Any sparkies?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

olivehydra

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Just bought a brand new fluro light hood (dalbarb) and new tube. Works fine but makes quite an audible buzz/humming noise when on. Any ideas?? Just thinking it may be annoying to my new dragons?? Lost reciepts and purchased a few weeks ago so return is probably going to be difficult.
Thanks

how loud is it? is it only noticeable when really close, id say it would just be the ballast, also check all the connections are all tight and there is no hot joints.....when the power is off preferably :)

southy said:
how loud is it? is it only noticeable when really close, id say it would just be the ballast, also check all the connections are all tight and there is no hot joints.....when the power is off preferably :)

Cheers Southy,
In a quiet room you can hear it from 2-3 m away. Excuse my ignorance, but what is a hot joint? Are you referring to temperature, burning reefers? :wink:

ha ha nah im not, i can honestly say ive never worked on one in a quiet room, im always in a noisy environment but i don't think it should be making that much noise, a hot joint is where the wire isn't terminated (connected) properly in the terminals and the electricity has to ark across to make the joint which in turn makes it hot and will end up burning and could lead to short circuits or at worse a fire, if it worries you that much i don't think it would hurt if there is a lighting place in your town and you pop in and ask them but i can't say ive heard to many flouros buzzing, by the way im not the best person to listen to, ive only just started my 2nd year but theres some info for you anyway

As fluoros get older the ballasts will often buzz but with a brand new one like you have it shouldn't. It could be worth checking that the ballast is fitted in securely and that it's not just vibrating causing the noise. Failing that I would certainly be trying to return it to where it was purchased. Dalbarbs are not cheap units so you have the right to expect perfection when new. If it was a 20 buck job from bunnings I'd say you get what you pay for but in this case I believe you aren't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back