Anyone else have this happen?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bel03

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Whenever i buy feeder gold fish for my oscars, one always seems to survive & one oscar in particular then befriends them......now she had lived with her last 'mate' for almost a yr, & then one day i wake up & see the tail of her mate hanging out her gob.......4 days later she regurged the goldfish........still alive! :shock: Mind you, its eyes had popped out of its head & it was swimming in circles crashing into everything before i removed it from the tank!

Now, i have had so many people tell me that my oscar really should have died.......so i wanted to know if anyone else has ever witnessed something being regurged alive so many days after the fact, without any injury to the one that done the regurging in the first place......

I can't say I have had it happen. But I don't own oscars of buy feeder fish. That may have something to do with it. Maybe.

Jesse has a red devil who loves fingers. So naturally after he brought her he thort for sure she would go for feeder fish. She lived with them for a few weeks than she started chewing them in half and leaving them in the tank. Not a nice site first thing in the morning thats for sure. His had this red devil for over a year now. He wants to try feeder fish again to see if she will like them as of yet. Ive explained he can do that while his on holidays so he can pull out the remains after it.

I can't say I have had it happen. But I don't own oscars of buy feeder fish. That may have something to do with it. Maybe.

Yeah.....maybe! :p

Jesse has a red devil who loves fingers. So naturally after he brought her he thort for sure she would go for feeder fish. She lived with them for a few weeks than she started chewing them in half and leaving them in the tank. Not a nice site first thing in the morning thats for sure. His had this red devil for over a year now. He wants to try feeder fish again to see if she will like them as of yet. Ive explained he can do that while his on holidays so he can pull out the remains after it.

We have a jag that does the same thing, she will chase them down & chomp them, but wont eat them. It isnt pretty. My partner has red devils.......i hate them, they are the ugliest, stupidest fish ever! Apologies to Jesse ;)

Well i just spoke to someone on another forum, & they had similar happen, although 3days after their oscar attempted to eat something it obviously couldnt digest, it died. :( So i guess i just got lucky with Bonnie!

When I had red earred terrapins (in NZ, fully legal here) I used to go to the golf course and get gambusia by the bucket load from one of the water ways. I'd put 30 in with the turts and wham... Bam.... Thank you mam'... They'd have gambusia tails sticking out of their mouths and they'd go all frenzied... It was almost cruel to watch...

But... Yep... One left behind... Always rather panicked mind you. But still alive. Never touched... I think it died of a heart attack and then they ate it... Not too sure really.

I miss my terrapins... Now that I am back in NZ I might set up a new tank... Personally, they're far nicer creatures than some of their counterparts - it's a shame they're such a pest (as is with all exotics).

wait a minute, red eared sliders/terrapins are legal in NZ? What else is legal there? o_O

btw how big was the feeder after that "friendship" period? most feeders i've fed my turtles and oscar get inevitably inhaled by the end of the day, or sometime within the week, esp since they seem to be always ravenous (and as a result, more on the chubby side)

Last edited:
btw how big was the feeder after that "friendship" period? most feeders i've fed my turtles and oscar get inevitably inhaled by the end of the day, or sometime within the week, esp since they seem to be always ravenous (and as a result, more on the chubby side)

The feeder was huge by the time she attempted to eat it......at least 10cms long. & yes, she loves live food, she is a guts, but out of everything i feed her, she ALWAYS saves one! Whether it be a gold fish, a prawn, or a red claw......she likes to befriend them, for months, then when they feel safe, BAM, they are gone....usually without the regurge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back