Anyone else seen this strange behaviour before?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Womagaunt

Reaction score
Hey guys,
recently got a leaf tailed gecko (sex unknown) he ate a cricket earlier this morning, and i decided to try and hand feed him and he did this strange movement and started swaying his tailed side to side, is this because he was scared? or was it trying to make its tail look like something the cricket would want to eat so it could attract it and he could eat it? anyone else seen this before? reply below :D
Also can anyone tell me buy watching the video if he is male or female, the breeder i got him from said he had no clue? :D
Strange Leaf Tailed Gecko Tail Movements - YouTube
Also be sure to like comment and subscribe for more videos

saw the video ha ha cute lil fella maybe he is trying to lure it? that or he's doin the happy dance

It's a threat display.If you are going to feed it like that maybe better to use long forceps so your hand isn't getting so close to it and causing it stress.

It's a threat display.If you are going to feed it like that maybe better to use long forceps so your hand isn't getting so close to it and causing it stress.
ok thanks i will let him settle in for another few days before i decide to try feed him again, do u keep leaf tails? :D

Definitely a threat/warning display. I would just be throwing the crickets in its tub for now, especially if it's new...

Definitely a threat/warning display. I would just be throwing the crickets in its tub for now, especially if it's new...
yeah thats what i have been doing and hes been eating them so i decided to try hand feed him and try and get him used to me Thanks for the help, any ideas on if its a male or female?

- - - Updated - - -

I think the last part of the video answers your questions.
True aha

I would even go so far as to say it was being used as a target, the purpose of a detachable tail on a lot of geckos/skinks is for predation, he was making the tail a target so if anything had happened it would lure a predator away from the head so the tail could be dropped and the gecko could still escape with its life

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back