anyone know of a herp vet in the mid north coast area

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kri57a

Not so new Member
Reaction score
hey just wonderin if anyone knows a good herp vet in the mid north coast area, as there is none in my area that has much to do reptiles. have got 2 diamonds which appears to have scalerot, had them in a cage that had fake grass in it with a heat mat under it, would this have caused it? the cage isnt dirty at all, as i hose the grass after the snake has gone to the toilet, if anyone would be able to give me some advise that would be great, thanks :)

Theres a well recommended herpvet in laurieton, his name escapes me though.
where on the mid north coast are u?
Ive kept diamonds for many years and have never had scalerot, sometimes theyed get redness etc but was due to up coming shed.
Heat mat would cause it only if the heated area in which they layed was damp.
Do u have any pics of the rot?

its hard to get a pic of it as they keep on movin around, and im not sure how to post pics up here either.

Gavin Rippon would be the bloke you are referring to in Laurieton, great bloke and knows what hes doing, hes the only one i know of but i highly recommend hes the bloke you see

thats the one, can u describe the area thats affected and to post a pic just click the insert image icon in the quick reply box

its underneath the snake, is a bit blisterl21062010761.jpgy,one has shed, then it went brown in colour, am tryin to not have them in a humid area, have put them into a cage with lights now.21062010759.jpg the first pic is of the girl that has shed, and the second is of the male that hasnt.

hey greeny1 have you got the address and phone number for gavin and do you know how much a consult would be roughly for them?

Camden Haven Veterinary Clinic Gavin Rippon B.V.Sc. Veterinary Surgeon
476 Ocean Drive, Laurieton
dot.gif
Contact Details:
02 6559 9828

Nice Diamonds you have there and that looks like a nasty case of rot, when did u first notice signs?
Give them a ring and they will tell you how much for consult, prob $50 plus treatment costs.

If cage is clean etc, maybe your heatmat is a tad bit hot.
As long as rot isnt to bad then treatment is fairly straight forward.

the female i noticed a couple of weeks ago, and the male i noticed today, but unless you get them out all the time you dont really notice it, yeah think i might ditch the heat mats, didnt think they were gettin that hot.

From photos cant really see how bad the damage is, but yeah antibiotics should clear it up, vet will access the damage and prob give her a co**** of antibiotics and prob a antibacterial/anticeptic cream or betadine solution bath for the affected areas but all depends on how bad it is, but the vet asap is a must.
Ive never used heatmats on my adult diamonds only hatchys as in the wild theres only the sun above and nothing at night.

yeah might see if i can get in this week, got some antibiotics here just wondering if i should start them before or not, the diamonds are only 2 1/2 and 3 1/2yrs old, so not full adults yet, the female did go off her food but offered her today and she took it, so im thinkin that might be a good sign, fingers crossed anyway. yeah havent really had a problem with any of the other snakes except these two, but then by sayin that the others have always had lights instead of mats.

gavin said she should be good, bit of a burn mark from the heat mat, just gotta bathe the scabby bits off the belly with some chlorhexidine, and give her a couple of shots of antibiotics, and she will be fine, yay. oh yeah and note to self: heat mats arent always a good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back