Anyone tried 'Rep-Cal' food for beardies?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Miss B

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Anyone tried feeding Rep-Cal pellets to their beardies?

We bought some today - at $20 for a 230g jar, it's a complete ripoff. But we're heading overseas for two weeks and it seems like an easy food for our 'beardie-sitter' (who knows nothing about reptiles) to prepare.

Diego had a few nibbles but didn't seem overly fussed. Phoenix was her usual piggy little self and gobbled the whole lot up in five seconds flat, and then looked at me as if to ask for more :lol: I noticed she has a distinct preference for the green pellets and is not so fussed on the pink or brown ones. Luckily 90% of the jar is green pellets so that shouldn't be too much of a drama.

It's very easy to prepare, the pellets just need to be soaked in water for about five minutes and they go all soft and squishy. They contain spirulina though, and absolutely stink :| Oh well, the beardies don't seem to notice!

Here's Phoenix chowing down on this yummy new treat:

Phoenix_dinner.jpg

Rep-Cal.jpg

i have a jar of the small baby stuff. it stinks and my beardy didnt seem to touch it. but i offered it anyway

She is so cute Miss B. The more I see these cuties... the more I want one of them too. LOL..

I'm gonna need a bigger house!!

i have stuff that doesnt need 2 be moistened, the beardies wont touch it, even leave it out of the salad mix

Hehe thanks guys :)

Reptile_Boy, how much do you feed to each beardie and how long does one jar last? I'm not sure whether to stock up before we go away or if one jar will be enough. Phoenix ate about ten pellets tonight, although I'm sure she would have eaten heaps more if I'd let her.

i put it into a salad and they just eat em down./ i have been using half a jar for the last 3 weeks

Try soaking it in a bit of fruit juice - that usually gets them interested. I only give it to my beardies every so often - my shinglebacks usually clean it up if the beardies don't...

I feed that to all my lizards, it's great for those times you can't be bothered chopping up food. It's interesting that you noticed a preference for green, I also found my beardies ate the red or green ones first...

That's what my beardies have been fed on from the word go - as recommended by the dealer. YES it does stink but they seem to like it. Mine prefer the red/pink pellets to the green. It's amusing watching them stand on the edge of their feeding bowl, head cocked on one side as they search out the ones they want!

Can anybody recommend any other commercial feed?

ye i feed it 2 my 2 beardys and 2 pygmys they loved it nd still eat it. i think you have to start them from a young age.

Maybe she just wasn't hungry, but I put some of this stuff in Phoenix's food dish yesterday morning and she didn't even look at it. She probably still had a full belly from pigging out the day before :lol: I popped her on the scales yesterday, she has gained 25g :shock: Gonna have to start calling her Miss Piggy...

Anyone tried feeding Rep-Cal pellets to their beardies?

I feed it to our blue tongues - don't have any beardies.

We bought some today - at $20 for a 230g jar

It is $16.50 from the Herp Shop - but unless you are in Melbourne you will have to add shipping which will probably be more than $3.50 for a single jar.

The advantage with this Bearded Dragon food is that it is a complete balanced diet. Like "food that is good for you" not every animal will take to it straight away but I understand that the Rep-Cal Beardy food is much better than most of the alternatives in this respect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back