Arafura file snake

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Any chance of some pics?

Reptiles Australia had an article on them recently. They had a very complex set up they were describing from Melbourne zoo.

I have seen than at the Ballarat Wildlife park.

Everyone I have ever spoken to about them says that it is all about water quality... after that the rest is easy.

G'day guys,

In my experience, they are quite simple to look after. A lot of people have had bad luck with them, especially with "White Spot". I have an inkling that this might be stress related, I'm not sure.

I keep mine in a 4' x 18" x 18" tank, completely full of water sitting at around 6.5pH. I have a smaller filter that doesn't break the surface tension of the water - this I believe is essential, they seem to hate fast flowing water. The tank is kept at around 28 degrees Celcius, with a aquarium UV fluro on a 12/12 cycle. It has a base of large river stones, topped with smaller river stones and finally a layer of river sand. Several different species of plants were added a few months ago when I rebuilt the tank...mainly reeds, with some Java Fern in there too. The most important part is the hidey holes - three large pieces of drift wood that allow him to hide away out of view if he wants to. I've had him 5 years now and he's going great guns.

As with most of my collection, I try and keep the set up as simple as possible without compromising the health of the animal...it's only in the last 12 months that I've tried to make his tank look nice. You could easily get away with keeping one as long as the water was 28 degrees, there wasn't much of a current, it was below 7.0pH and it had a few hidey spots. I've found them very simple...

As an example of how hardy they are, when I first got mine, it developed white spot. I'd never really kept any fish tanks or anything, but in my head, fungus + low pH = dead fungus. So I added vinegar to his tank. Problem solved.

Sorry Reptilefan , you work in an aquarium so I guess I have to trust you!!

Any parasitologist and most Vets would be able to tell you that is incorrect. Stress does not cause whitespot in fish. It is a protzoan parasite.

I too work in the aquarium industry and have for over 20 years.

Doesn't mean you have to trust me but. Plenty of scientific studies out there to back up what I have posted.

The only reason I brought up the difference in pathological agents is that the two protozoans which cause so called "white spot" in fish cannot live without a host (fish) for extended periods.

It is quite possible that if filesnake "white spot" is caused by a fungus then it could exist without a fish host. A fungus is much harder to quarantine against as well because fungal spores can become airborne under the right conditions. Without culturing and identifying the fungus in question it would be hard to say how to guard against it other than to provide conditions that are known to inhibit fungal growth.

Which is what most of the keepers here seem to have done through one method or another.

Cheers Andrew

butters,

you are correct and so am i the parasite can be triggerd by poor water quality and STRESS the parasite is not caused by stress but stress can quite often trigger the protzoan into becoming more prominant and far more dangerous.

What aquarium do you work at? Not trying to be rude just interested

Thanks for the info guys. Iv kept all sorts of fish my whole life so im not new to filtration and water quality etc.
Still dont have any info on where to get any though??

jimbo,

There's no "one-stop-shop" for Arafura's unfortunately. I have been looking for a female for a lot of years and have yet to come across any.

My suggestion is to set up a tank and wait it out. One big thing to remember is that they WILL escape...they may sit in the tank for 12 months than all of a sudden they think it's a great idea to see what's going on in the kitchen and you find them covered in dust and hair when you go to make coffee the next morning. Make sure the tank is escape proof :)

you had one escape jonno? from observing mine out of water i really cannot comprehend how they could move about out of water...
i remember someone on here or another forum mentioning how one escaped and was found in the toilet...
i really did lol

Hey mate,

Yeah he's got out a couple of times.They don't go far, but they are surprisingly mobile. I'm not sure what spurs it but the last time he did, he actually pushed the lid up on the hood of a 4 foot tank...no mean feat for a snake with the consistency of jelly!

yep they do escape...mine did and unfortunatley didnt live to do it again..... now i am a little wiser to their abilities i just need a replacemnet..... as jack said didnt think they would be much of a mover and shaker out of the drink..... but ohhh was i wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back