arafura file snakes.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Morelia_man

Reaction score
i was just wondering if anyone could give me any information on the keeping of this species. there seems to be no information on the care of the arafura file snake. the only site i have found in the one by ben www.snakesnt.com
does anyone else know of any other sites??

thanks

I remember reading quite a bit about them at Aussie Herps, but it was some time ago now. You could search the archives there.

or

There is one APS memebr I know of who ones one, Patrick, haven't seen him about in a while, but you could go to the members list and perhaps try and contact him.

Hi MM,
The Arafura File Snake is my favourite.
There is the care sheet on snakesnt.com, and yes, Patrick from here does own one (Check out his album in the gallery).
From what he's told me he keeps it in a large fishtank and feeds it fish.
There aren't many guidelines on keeping this species captive because not many people keep them!

What you could do is send a PM to Patrick and ask him specifically what you need to know, or you could phone snakesnt people and ask them, I've been told they're very helpful.

Cheers

i want one too

Do any nsw people want to get together and send a few letters to npws asking that they be put one to class 1

What i have seen of them at a mates place is they are pretty easy to keep.
He currently has them on loan in a breeding progame with another mate.
Keep in similar conditions to a standard fish tank an feed on pilchards.

Something i will acquire this year if his breeding progarme goes well.

Regards

Darin

I didn't say anything about price, just that they were there. I would pay 400 for a local snake that I could view and handle prior to purchase over a snake that had to be bought on faith for 250 and shipped interstate.

well i live right near snakes NT so i can buy one from there, but thanks for the thought.
they salt water or fresh?? or both??

Water chemistry isn't a big deal. They will survive in marine,fresh,brackish and even chlorinated water.So no need to keep tabs on ph and hardness. The main thing is that they need to breath air from the surface so a gap between the water level and the tank roof is required.Also airation of water is essential.

You could try contacting taronga Zoo in Sydney. Just in the last year they have aquired 2 arafura file snakes which are currently on display (which obviously you can't see if you live in NT) but you could call them and ask to be put throught to the reptile department. I dont know how much help they will be though but u can try.

thanks for the help everybody, will get my filey some time soon and when i do i will post some pics for you.
just went to all the lawn sales looking for a chest of draws, found one (very nice) for $20 and went to the salvation army and got a pane of glass for $2. all up will hinges and all probly bout $30 for a new cage.

bargin, will post pics when finished.

thanks

re file snakes

Just thought I would add one more thing on the above subject, my other half keeps 4 file snakes and as well as airation the tank needs to be heated, his tank is around 30-32 degrees C
cheers
chloe

cyber_crimes said:
Water chemistry isn't a big deal. They will survive in marine,fresh,brackish and even chlorinated water.So no need to keep tabs on ph and hardness. The main thing is that they need to breath air from the surface so a gap between the water level and the tank roof is required.Also airation of water is essential.

Ooops...Thanks Chloe.
I forgot to mention required temps.
A submersible aquarium heater of appropriate wattage will be needed to keep temps consistent. 8) Also feed white bait as this seems to be a cheap option for a fish diet.

Poor water quality can lead to fungal infections or so I am told.

Sounds about right to me Mags,
I think it goes without saying that partial water changes are needed on a weekly basis (roughly 25-50%) .Also when doing a water change its advised to take the water from the bottom as well as any fecal matter etc (stale,hard water sinks and fresh,soft water floats, so to speak).But theres no hardness or PH requirements as such from what i've read.All they need is clean warm water.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back