Are Beardies Docile In Nature?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cypher

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity rather than concern, how does your bearded dragon act in captivity, as a pet?

A friend & I were given a beardie each, nearly a year ago, siblings from the same batch. As I have cats at home, I only take mine out of it's enclosure a couple times a week, under supervision. It's simply content just to sit perched on my shoulder or on top of the lounge & just watch everything go by.

My friend's beardie on the other hand, acts like a puppy, running & climbing throughout his house (he has no cats), will follow him around & simply crave for attention.

We compare notes about feeding, heat & lighting & both our conditions seem to be the same.
The only slight difference is I gut load the crickets I feed my beardie whilst my friend, sprinkles vit/calcium supplements straight onto the fruit n veg....

Should I be giving more vit/calcium supplements or is the difference in behaviour just natural?

I don't think most beardies are docile in the wild. If they were to relaxed they would be killed and eatten by to many animals.

A bit of extra calcium won't hurt but it seems like everything is going well for both beardies. I wish my beardies would follow me around. I always keep and eye on them otherwise that might disappear somewhere.

Oh yeah, it's natural! All beardies have their own little unique personalities. I have a friend with over 50 of them and every single one has their own different attitudes and habbits and wants and needs. They're amazing aren't they?

The wild ones of course, they're not docile. Some can be when it comes to humans, but most flare up at you the minute they feel threatened!

Last edited:
Well maybe "docile" in the wild, is not the right term...but suffice to say, beardies I've come across in the bush have always been basking, will flare up then run & hide.
I've never come across beardies in action, chasing eachother or hunting down food.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back