are these any good for geckos?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nagini-baby

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
basically i want to know if these enclosures are any good for geckos and if they are how do you set them up ect
tiny cage.jpg

What are the dimensions?

For levis, there would be ALOT of wasted space!

Buy a tub for $5 instead lol

If it is 45x45 it is fine for a pair, maybe trio, of levis levis. Heatmat or cord at under 1/3 of the floor, sand - playsand is fine- shallow over the heat, deep - 10cm - where it is cooler. Dampen the deep sand. Have some hides scattered around the heat gradient.

i keep my 10 month old levis pair in a 35L (or there abouts) starmaid tub with about 2/3 of the top cut out and glued on fly screen mesh and it works a treat, even got eggs off them a few weeks ago. could maybe go a little bigger but it is a good size so the crix can't get away so easy at feed time.

i like the idea of a glass enclosure, however with a tub cleaning time is so easy (for a full substrate change). i have a spare tub, put sand and hides in, add gecko's and done. the used tub- find somewhere to dump sand, hose out, dry and its ready for the next exchange program. can't really do that with a glass enclosure.

for heat you can run a heat cord or mat under neath. i use light fittings to heat snakes so the hot end of the tub sits on top of a snake enclosure with the hot end over the light fitting which heats through the tub and sand. if its too hot or cold they shift the sand around in the hide to suit.

but to answer your question yes if that is a 45 x 45 viv that would be suitable.

Last edited:
they are great!. Heat mat under 1/3 of the enclosure and run it on a thermostat to 30-32degrees celcius. No need for lights. Put some sand in there 3cm on the shallow side (where the heat mat is under) and up to 15cm deep on the deep side as the geckos like to dig. Enjoy.

we got them for $30 they are the really small ones. 30x30x30

I wouldn't keep a pair in that size, but as i said before, the height is wasted on Levis. Instead of buying expensive glass enclosures, tubs work just as well and are a lot cheaper (leaving more money for more reptiles!)

Sorry I thought you were talking about those click clack storage tubs they kinda blurr the vision.

yay!!!! we got them origionally for hatchy dragons but didnt end up using them so i have two of them doing nothing... geckos sound like fun

basically i want to know if these enclosures are any good for geckos and if they are how do you set them up ect
View attachment 186806

i did have 1 of these enclosures but there is not much they are good for IMO. Too small for most herps and the ones they are a suitable size for can often escape through the gaps in the lid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back