Artificial grass

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sarah123s

Not so new Member
Reaction score
hi everyone! i have two beardies (about 4 months old) I have read that people use fake grass as a substrate and think it would be alot easier to clean than the sand they're on atm! anyway i went to but some and i asked would it be ok in 30deg temperatures and was told it would give off fumes. I didnt get any... but could anyone tell me where you could get the grass sutible for reptile encllosures.

use newspaper, so much better for them then astro turf and alot easyer to clean/cheaper

30 degrees isn't anywhere near enough to cause it to give of fumes through any sort of melting.

Its used on tennis courts out in the blazing sun, so prolly gets up to 70 or so degrees

hey i use fake grass with my 2 beardies but there in a well ventilated cage anyways if you think newspaper looks boring(like me) then go for this i guess or carpet i get mine form bunnies i cant remember how much it is but its pretty cheap if its just for a small tank

Never had a problem with the fake grass from Bunnings and find it very easy to clean for my Beardie. The temps vary from 26 - 35 and nothing in the enclosure seems to be trying to get away from fumes. Sounds like an urban myth to me. Aesthetically looking the grass is much better than newspaper in my opinion.

i have heard that the astro turf can give your herps problems, also once your collection expands its just to expensive

Astro turf is the way to go :) it will not give off fumes at 40 degrees let alone 30! it is cheap from overflow and the only safety issue is that there are no frey on the edges and yes a beardie will go for frays so just cut them off as soon as you see them. Easy to clean and steralise... just take it in the shower rinse and scrub , then hang in the sun for a couple of hours to steralise ( this is why i have 2 for each tank so one is hanging while the other is being used. oh and just remember to clean it after you cut it and before first use!

its not expensive as its a one time cost! it has never given beardies probllems as long as you don't use looped turf and as long as proper husbandry is kept.

Easy to clean and steralise... just take it in the shower rinse and scrub , then hang in the sun for a couple of hours to steralise ( this is why i have 2 for each tank so one is hanging while the other is being used. oh and just remember to clean it after you cut it and before first use!

Exactly what I do .... except the shower part, lol. :) I steel brush and soak, then dry. Two different pieces to swap all the time.

i used fake grass in their outdoor tank for a while, but they kept trying to eat it and i didnt think that'd be too good fro them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back