Atherton Jungle not very happy!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

junglecarpet

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Well, I need some help
I got my little Atherton Jungle Hatchling 2 weeks ago and I originally put her in a small plastic click clack container
She was very happy in here and loved to come out and had never snapped at me

I went to a pet shop on Sunday and stumbled across a small glass tank built for reptiles (pic attached)

I grabbed this because I thought, yes, I can finally use my heat pad for her!

I put her in there Sunday night and ever since then, she has been snappy and bad tempered, constantly coiling up ready to strike

Now I am just wondering what the cause of this could be??
Is it stress or has she become territorial!?

I gave her bark to hide under, and she seemed happy when I put her in there, she came up to the glass and had a look at me then moved around for a bit before hiding, whereas in the click clack, she would hide straight away

Thanks for everyones help in advance

Mel

Attachments

• Razor's New Tank 003.jpg
    Razor's New Tank 003.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 134
It's probably because she feels too threatened in that cage as its so exposed, if you want to keep her in that cage black out the sides with paper or cardboard and put her in a low traffic area, and let her be for a couple of weeks.

She is just a little scared new enclosure and all.They seem to prefer the click clacks with the frosted sort of sides.It will take her a little while to get used to it.
Like has been suggested perhaps move it to a low traffic area till she gets used to it??
Another thing that is possible is to leave a little of her excretment in there for a while so she can smell herself and feel a little safer.Jmo

Oh, Just an observation you don't have the heat mat under the whole enclosure do you?

Oh no the heat mat is under about a 5th of the enclosure

She hasnt done any 'excrements' as of yet so I cant do that, but thanks for the idea :p

The tank is in a low traffic area, its on a cabinet that never gets used, hence the reason I put her there

She is back in her click clack now and is perfect again

I might place the click clack inside the bigger container and see if that helps her get used to it, as well as covering the sides for a little bit of extra cover

Thanks heaps guys!

Yeah with our atherton we put her from her click clack recently into an enclosure, and she wasn't impressed at all!!
Hide in a hide for about 8 days and we put her back in the click clack and she was fine.
Perhaps putting something else familiar to her or with her smell instead??

Hey Mel, you can try taping some paper to the sides and back of the enclosure (on the outside) to create a more closed in environment. Also offer a couple hides that she'll feel safe in. ie. upside down small pot plant base with an entrance drilled/cut into it.
Hope this helps.
Rob

Im buying a jungle soon its a yearling and i was wondering if i need a click clack or a wooden enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back