Aussie snake under CITES laws or not?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GetCoiled

Reaction score
Is the Aussie herpetofauna (and fauna in general) regolamented by the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora, or not as there is no chance to export it?.
Just a curiosity
Cheers
Stef

CITES does not prevent export. It only monitors it. CITES listed animals are regularly moved around the world but under closer scutiny.

Australia is a party to CITES, so to export anything that is on CITES from Australia you would need to get a CITES permit. As far as reptiles go, our crocs, pythons, monitors, broadheaded snake and pignose turtle are on Appendix II, and all Marine Turtles are on Appendix I.

:p

Hix

All python spp and all Varanus spp are CITES listed, plus other spp, check www.cites.org
Due to the local laws native spp are rarely exported legally, only occassionally by zoos.
I wish all countries would operate under the framework of CITES without adding their own restrictions.
The CITES framework is neither pro nor con trade rather it is supposed to be about preventing the extinction of spp thru trade. Unfortunately those with their own agenda use the conferences to ban trade regardless if it is sustainable.
I know of instances where spp are actually put in futher danger because their trade was banned outside the framework of CITES
Life would be a lot more enjoyable with only CITES guidelines :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back