Australian Reptile Books / DVDs

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MannyM

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I was in an Angus & Robertson the other day, and saw a book on Aussie Snakes which was great to look through and quite informative. Was all set to buy it, but I noticed that it was made very poorly and the spine on all copies came unstuck as soon as you opened the book... so I opted not to buy it. Had a quick look around, but i've found nothing so far which was similar, or which provided info on Aussie reptiles (not just snakes... plenty on Aussie birds though).

Anyway, my question to all my informative friends here, is do you know of a good/informative book on aussie reptiles? I don't necessarily want anything too scientific, or bland in its descriptions. What i'm looking for is a big book which is basically a comprehensive guide on all reptile species in this country. Nice big pics, descriptions of each, with behaviour, region, habitat... etc.

Also, i'm a sucker for documentaries, and love the BBC series in particular (life of mammals, life in the undergrowth), but I am yet to find a documentary of that caliber which exists about reptiles (Australian or not). If anyone has any recommendations in this department also, it'd be appreciated.

Thanks

G'day mate,

There is simply no beating Rick Shines book "Australian Snakes - A Natural History". You can purchase it online from Mike Swan at www.mikeswanherpbooks.com.au

Other books that are a little more in depth than Australian Snakes include Alan Greers "The Biology and Evolution of Australian Snakes", and Harold Heatwole and Janet Taylors "Ecology of Reptiles".

Cheers

Jonno
Educational Reptile Displays
0413 128 248

I'll second that, this is a fantastic book to read. If you check out http://www.vpi.com/store there is a copy of Pythons of the World volume 1 for the bargain basement price of $US185 :)

Have to say though that it was worth every penny just for the pictures let alone the fact that it seems to be THE authoritative reference on Aussie Pythons

G'day mate,

There is simply no beating Rick Shines book "Australian Snakes - A Natural History". You can purchase it online from Mike Swan at www.mikeswanherpbooks.com.au

Other books that are a little more in depth than Australian Snakes include Alan Greers "The Biology and Evolution of Australian Snakes", and Harold Heatwole and Janet Taylors "Ecology of Reptiles".

Cheers

Jonno
Educational Reptile Displays
0413 128 248

That was it. Australian Snakes - A Natural History is the book I was talking about, and it was fantastic, but every copy I saw just fell apart. Are they all like this?

I'll second that, this is a fantastic book to read. If you check out http://www.vpi.com/store there is a copy of Pythons of the World volume 1 for the bargain basement price of $US185 :)

Have to say though that it was worth every penny just for the pictures let alone the fact that it seems to be THE authoritative reference on Aussie Pythons

Wow, VERY pricey. Not opposed to paying that, but I really would like to look at something first hand before paying that price.

That was it. Australian Snakes - A Natural History is the book I was talking about, and it was fantastic, but every copy I saw just fell apart. Are they all like this?

I've had no problems with mine, had it for about 18 odd months now.

Wow, VERY pricey. Not opposed to paying that, but I really would like to look at something first hand before paying that price.

Good luck finding it :p It is very hard to come by and because of that people are protective of their copies

Hmm, maybe i'll look around to see some other copies of Australian Snakes. I was really impressed with it.

:p I'm sure they are. Even a couple of scans would be nice, just to get an understanding of layout etc (i'm fairly picky about visual aesthetics in books).

Thanks for the replies!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back