Aviary for reptariums?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Belinda

Reaction score
Hi I have a fairly large aviary that has acouple of finches in it at the moment. I am planning on selling the birds, and turning it into a reptarium for lizards/dragons. The only problem is it will be ALL natural. Only the sun for heat. Im in sydney so the winters arent too cold, all the lizards and dragons will be in there together, they'll all be about the same size, but they wont eat each other will they??

Thanks in advance!

What kind of lizards are you planning on putting in there?

If u get species that are local to your area or are used to your climate, then there shouldn't really be a problem
Cheers

All

Every lizard or dragon I can own in class 1 licence, but they'll all be round about the same size coz i can imagine walking out one day to see a tail hanging out of one of the dragons mouths! Lol...They'll also be seperated in breeding season.

No

Okay, What Im trying to say is that about 2 weeks before breeding season, they will all be placed in enclosures until they have mated with the female. After breeding season all will be returned and the eggs incubated.

Are you talking about putting all of them in one big cage or have a big cage divided?
Not all lizards on class 1 can be kept together mainly from size differences.
The larger dragons like beardies and water dragons will eat any smaller species of lizards even smaller versions of the same species. Multiple males of the same species will fight to the death.

Colonies of the same species can be housed together year round and be expected to breed they don't need to be seperated.

Remember that anywhere east of the great dividing range shinglebacks can't be kept outdoors.

Theres alot to think about when housing different speices together so do your home work.

Remember that anywhere east of the great dividing range shinglebacks can't be kept outdoors.
Just curious why this is NoOne?

Belle - It is rarely a good idea to house multiple species together. Besides the diferent heating requirements, there is also the size diferences. For example, I don't reckon you'd be too thrilled when your adult male Water Dragon decides to eat your Gravid female Gillens Monitor. Another issue is 'breeding season.' Many of the dragons and smaller monitors will have several clutches of eggs per year so seperating for breeding won't really work too well.

I have an out door pit that i keep 7 gippsland water dragons in 2 male 5 females with no problems at all.

Also have a friend that has a pit that runs eastern water dragons,cunning hams bule tongues,blotches,barbata bearded dragons + 4 species of turtle.

The only problem is in breeding season if he misses digging up a clutch of eggs the other reptile make a meal of them.

With the adults dragons and lizards the turtles love to bite tails and toes of dragons close to the water.

Thia is a huge pit contains it own waterfall for the EW dragon to climb on a huge pond with heaps of logs and branches and rock give all reptile ample home and hide + individual basking spots.

Shinglebacks are not found naturally east of the great divide. This is beause of humdity. High humdity causes respiratory faliure.
Shinlgebacks will always die if kept outdoors year round east of the divide.
They can sometimes be kept outside for short periods but humidity can take it's toll faster in some indivduals than others.

you could have a spot light in there through the day and a night light not sure what type but will have to be in a cave that u can make u could make a couple of caves so they all can get in also dont over populate a little area thats when fighting starts to hapen....

Okay...I was just wondering. Thanks for everyones help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back