aviary pic's and help for diamonds

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

westhamsc

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
hey all just wanting a few idears for aviarys for diamonds and some advice what i'd like to know is.
which way doe's every one face there aviary's?
how big of an aviary for a trio of diamonds?
where are the best places to put hides? and what sort of hides do people find best?
and my final question is if i was to keep them out there in the victorian winter whould it be best to provide a warm box for them?

also any pic's of setups whould be great

cheers westie

p.s anyone in vic that know's of any one or has kept diamonds outside in victoria i'd like to pick there brains

OK I'll try. Faces East South East. Has sun until 11am. 2 inch polystyrene roof. Western facing wire as well for afternoon sun. Underground Hide. Two raised hides. colourbond fence behind keeps direct sun off enclosure. Now all I need is Diamonds.

that hide under the concrete is great Idea good what is the lid of the underground hide made of ?

which way doe's every one face there aviary's?
how big of an aviary for a trio of diamonds?
where are the best places to put hides? and what sort of hides do people find best?
and my final question is if i was to keep them out there in the victorian winter whould it be best to provide a warm box for them?

OK Westy mate, I'll try, seeing as you want VICTORIAN answers:
I usually stand in front of my aviary to face it.
I would use one of a suitable size for 3 animals if you want to put a trio in there.
The best places to put hides are INSIDE the aviary, and of the enclosed type but make sure there is an entry hole or they can't get in!
Only if you don't want them to get cold.
Hope this helps mate.

There's always one isn't there African......LOL

Love the idea of the underground Hide........

Thats it. I can't go to work now until I change my Pi&*%%ed pants. Very funny Afro.

And my fake diamond who looks very much like a diamond stays out in winter and we regularly get temps below zero. As low as -4.5 overnight. she has been doing this for 6 years and I dont think it has ever killed her.

and I dont think it has ever killed her
lol

Colourbond do a product that is essentially a layer of colour bond corrugates iron, then a layer of foam, variable thickness, then a layer of white colourbond flat sheeting. Would be perfect for making the roof and walls out of to allow minimal heat through.

OK Westy mate, I'll try, seeing as you want VICTORIAN answers:
I usually stand in front of my aviary to face it.
I would use one of a suitable size for 3 animals if you want to put a trio in there.
The best places to put hides are INSIDE the aviary, and of the enclosed type but make sure there is an entry hole or they can't get in!
Only if you don't want them to get cold.
Hope this helps mate.
helpful as allways mate :lol:

Westy,

Depending on the surronding environment, I'd suggest you face your aviary North, preferably in a way that can get the morning sun (maybe through wire side panels), but you should have the rear enclosed wall protecting the aviary from the cold southerly winds. Especially down in your part of Victoria. Those Southerly winds in Winter feel like they've come straight from McMurdo Sound.

:p

Hix

hix i get westly winds of port phillip bay i was thinking of faceing it east to north east thus getting morning and midday sun

That's coldroom panels, I built my whole reptile room out of those, brilliant.

Magpie said:
Colourbond do a product that is essentially a layer of colour bond corrugates iron, then a layer of foam, variable thickness, then a layer of white colourbond flat sheeting. Would be perfect for making the roof and walls out of to allow minimal heat through.

westhamsc said:
hix i get westly winds of port phillip bay i was thinking of faceing it east to north east thus getting morning and midday sun

Like I said "depending on your surrounding environment". Sounds like East-North-East is your best option then. Good Luck!

:p

Hix

I also live in a cooler climate (Lithgow/Bathurst) with big frosts and temps that stay around 2-5 C for a week sometimes in winter. Snow several times a year with freezing winds. Would a diamond survive that? Would it be best to put them in a the shed for winter.?? I don't know of any diamonds wild in this area although they are found nearby but on the rivers at a lot lower elev. I was also thinking of getting a diamond and a aviary.????? Could you put some heat mat in their box in the aviary and switch it on for the winter??? I would appreciate your thoughts guys. Dave

I also live in a cooler climate (Lithgow/Bathurst) with big frosts and temps that stay around 2-5 C for a week sometimes in winter. Snow several times a year
victoria is no where near that bad lol

Westie
I have my Aviary facing North,you want enough cover so they can get out of the sun if they wish and they love hide holes up high with climbing Branches.Ill take some pics for you.

Westy, my avairies face north and are out of the sun by 2pm. I have hides which are at chest/shoulder level and some which are on the ground. The roofs are completely covered so inside remains dry. The sides are colorbond sheeting which act as windbreaks. My hiding boxes are lined with styrofoam sheets on the inside for insulation. I also have plants, hollow logs and branches. The wire is covered with shadecloth except for a window cut out of the shadecloth for them to bask in full sunlight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back