Aviary Placement/Positioning?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

saximus

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
I’m planning on setting up an aviary maybe for a Diamond and then next year when my Lacey has outgrown its inside enclosure (no they wouldn’t be in there at the same time).
My main question is about placement. From what I understand, the most ideal situation is somewhere that only gets the morning sun so the spot I have in mind would be pretty much in the open but against a fence facing east. In this spot, using an aviary with an opaque roof would mean a basking spot is available during the morning and then around midday, the roof would shade the inside of it and then the fence would shade the rear from the really hot afternoon sun.
Does the roof provide enough protection or would it still get too hot inside and need an extra layer of shade like a mini pergola?

A friend has several diamonds outside he lives past Nowra , they are all on the northern side of the house and have 2 sides open , there is no shade from trees , just a tin roof and both are on a concrete slab , rarely have I seen these snakes on the ground and even in the heat of summer they are always up . In cold ugly parts of winter he places a sheet of Perspex to keep wind and or rain out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back