awaiting our first

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tntmadcats

Reaction score
Hi everyone

My name is tim and my brother is tom we are 9 and 8 years old.

We are getting out first snake in a few weeks and we are both very excited about it (mum is as well)

We have been reading lots of information and have found some interesting things from the people in this site and hope one day to be experienced enough to offer help to others.

We chose to get a coastal python as our first (yes i did say first) and with some advice from a man in this forum will be pestering mum to get a jungle i am so fasinated with them.

I have some questions that i cant find the answer for and mum refuses to help me (dont think she knows the answer)

My questions are

1 When feeding frozen mice/rats how do you defrost them and they say you need to warm then . What is the best way to do this

2. Can you keep 2 snakes in the same enclosure and if there are 2 should the enclosure be double in size to what is recomended

3. is there such a thing as too much handeling

Thank you and i await answers

Tim & Tom

1st. Place the rat or mouse in hot tap water. Either in a plastic snap bag or not. Some people place paper towell on to soak up excess water and some don't.

2nd. I would not reccommend it as if they are different sizes you could have some damage done to either snake. Definitely do not put different species together.

3rd. I try and handle my snakes everyday which is sometimes impossible. Some people do not reccomend it but I would rather have a snake that I could handle than one I could not.

It comes down to the time you have and effort you want to put in.

Good to hear from young ones getting into herps. If I can help contact me. If I don't have the answer I will get it for you.

Take care guys

1 When feeding frozen mice/rats how do you defrost them and they say you need to warm then . What is the best way to do this

2. Can you keep 2 snakes in the same enclosure and if there are 2 should the enclosure be double in size to what is recomended

3. is there such a thing as too much handeling

Your can microwave it, leave it in warm water for 15 mins, or keep it under a spot light to warm up.

Yes you can providing you watch them carefully and they are about the same size, never feed them together though, take them out seperately and put them back after 15mins if you have to keep them together, but they should be in a click-clack if there hatchlings anyway so they dont take up much room.

Yes there is, if you handle too much it will stress the snake out, it wont eat for you, probably be more aggressive, and at worst die. So let it settle in first then take it out every second day at most using a snake hook makes it easier.

Goodluck

Hi Tim and Tom,
Welcome and congrats on your new addition! I thaw my rats in hot water then after a while give them a squeeze to make sure they aren't frozen inside and that they aren't too hot. You can keep two snakes in one cage providing the cage is big enough for that species(childrens seem to like this), i personally would only put this species together and give the bigger snakes their own enclosure. I think the general rule is don't put two different species together. As far as handling, let your snake settle into the new home for about a week first, but i see no problem in handling your snake everyday providing the animal does not seem stressed.

Hi guys welcome to the site.

It's good to see some Mum's let their boys have pythons.....just make sure you look after them!!. they're not toys and they will live for a long time if looked after properly (don't mean to lecture.....I just hate any mistreated pythons).. :wink:

I wouldn't recommend a Jungle for a while as they tend to be more of experienced keepers python... IMO..I had a NASTY Jungle and she never changed...

Now about the questions.....here's my opinions, take them or leave them..I'm no expert.

1) Defrost the mouse/rat in hot water and make sure it's completely defrosted and then feed to the python..Nothing else is necessary. (Except for drying the excess water)

2) There's lots of different opinions...IMO if you keep the roughly the same age/size and same species together that should be fine as long as you feed them separate...but there has been terrible stories on here about pythons eating/attacking eachother. If you want to take the risk then it's up to you...personally unless your breeeding I wouldn't, you don't want to risk loosing one or one getting hurt.

3) Handling is another personal opinion....IMO .....you can handle a python as much as you want as long as you give it time to adapt to new surroundings (at least a week or so for a new addition) and give it's own space. I generally hold mine 3-5 times a week (leave two/three days after a feed) for about 20 - 30 mins at a time.

I hope you enjoy your pythons as much as ther rest of us but I can't stress enough Pythons are not toys,
Give them the respect they deserve
. :wink: :D

My two cents....Hope it helps. :roll:

ENJOY!! :D

ahhhh i can see my boys have already attacked the minds of experts what can i say. Im sure they are going to respect and get the most enjoyment out of keeping some snakes, the boys respect all the things they have and im happy to support them (and admit i think it was my idea in the begining but not going to admit that in public)

GOOD LUCK to all they pester

CHEERS

TNT'S MUM ALIXIS

Good on ya alixis for letting tom and jerry get a snake, you do realise it wont stop at one dont you? :D

Welcome to the site to you and tnt :D

Re: RE: awaiting our first

Alixis said:
ahhhh i can see my boys have already attacked the minds of experts what can i say. Im sure they are going to respect and get the most enjoyment out of keeping some snakes, the boys respect all the things they have and im happy to support them (and admit i think it was my idea in the begining but not going to admit that in public)

Sorry Alixis...I don't mean to sound negative...I just feel strongly about the subject.

I'm sure the boys will do fine. Good to see you're supporting them...and they'll get all the help they need from here!! :D 8)

RE: Re: RE: awaiting our first

I wouldn't suggest microwaving frozen rodents lol.
I am sure plenty of members here have tried & can tell a few stories :p

RE: Re: RE: awaiting our first

For 8 and 9 you fella's have excellent grammar and spelling. Good work. :)

Re: RE: Re: RE: awaiting our first

benji said:
For 8 and 9 you fella's have excellent grammar and spelling. Good work. :)

I agree. They might be able to get a job tutoring some of the APS members. :lol:

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: awaiting our first

Great, lets get more of the younger generation into herps, the more of an understanding they get when young the better chance herps have in the future. :D

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: awaiting our first

koubee said:
Great, lets get more of the younger generation into herps, the more of an understanding they get when young the better chance herps have in the future. :D

So true Koubee. So true. I'm glad my kids are into it and help me out everyday.

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: awaiting our first

2 meny beerz... eye nead halp shpeling :lol:

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: awaiting our first

Have one for me jessop. No on second thoughts make that 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back