Axanthic

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Goth-Girl

Reaction score
High Guys,
Could someone please tell me what Axanthic means..I really love the Axanthic Coastals and was curious..
Thanks Heaps..Cloe..

hey cloe, i suggest you use the search bar or google, rather then post a thread:)

The prefix "a" means without, and xanthic refers to xanthophores, or yellow/orange pigment. So Axanthic is without yellow pigment, the phenotype generally being white/black/brown/blue.

[h=2]Traits which affect the xanthophores:[/h]The reader is advised to remember that any trait affecting the xanthophores may also affect the erythrophores and vice versa, since the two are interrelated.
[h=3]Axanthism[/h]This genetic mutation slightly more difficult to comprehend. Red and yellow pigmentation is not synthesized by xanthophores. There is no red or yellow pigmentation present in these animals at all. Axanthic animals typically appear as black and white, with intermediate shades of gray.
However, in some axanthic specimens, yellow pigments in the form of carotenoids may be retained in the xanthophores. Additionally, certain iridophores may reflect light in such a manner as to appear yellow. Ordinarily, the iridophores are located in the same areas as the melanophores and are masked by the presence of the black pigment. This condition may cause dark areas to appear brownish, rather than a pure black. It is certain that multiple alleles are at work here, each uniquely influencing the appearance of the specimens involved.
[h=3]Hypoxanthism[/h]Yellow pigmentation is greatly reduced in the xanthophores. However, yellow pigments in the form of carotenoids may still be retained in the xanthophores. This accumulates with age and may be a major contributing factor in the overall appearance of some animals. It would be expected that red pigmentation would also be reduced in these animals. There are most likely several morphs of captive reptiles which are hypoxanthic masquerading around under other 'genetic labels'. Few herpetoculturists have access to the technology required to ascertain the exact nature of the mutations in today's collections. Fewer still would be willing to sacrifice specimens for examination! Myself included!

The Learning Center - Mutations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back