Baby Bearded Dragon Vomited and Diarrhea

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wastedgriny

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey guy i am getting worried about my one of my two bearded dragon he vomited and then his feces was diarrhea what could be wrong with him, i think it maybe because i fed him 5 or 6 crickets but none bigger then the width between his eyes, could he just be vomitting because of overfeeding?

I have never had this happen to me personally so I don't know I this will help but I have read that if you feed beardies lettuce (especially ice berg) that will cause direar( or however ya spell it) I'm not sure bout vomiting sorry

Howdy and a pity to hear about your young one. Could you give us some more information like what he has eaten before the vomiting and how long after eating the crickets did he vomit and poop? What are your enclosure temps (hot and cold)?

he ate his crickets and 1 mealworm about 2 hours ago
How old is he, were the crickets covered in calcium and what are the temperatures in his enclosure (How hot is it under his basking spot etc)?

Also, it's just me, but I would avoid feeding a baby beardy anything after dark. They need heat to digest their food and common sense means light = heat and night = no light. Try feed him again around lunch tomorrow when temps are normal, keep the fresh veges available and avoid the mealworms until at least a year old.

This is only my opinion going off the care sheets and my thoughts around beardy habits, it's not the be all and end all of bearded dragon care

Last edited:
he is around 1 month and a week, his crickets are covered in aristopet Reptil-cal, he has been sitting on his heatmat all night which is underneath the glass and newspaper of his enclosure and i am not going to feed him mealworms again

Cool beans. Ok well a couple of things to check before you rug yourself up in bed tonight.

A) is your heat mat on a thermostat and have you got the temp set between 37 and 40? Is there a cool spot he can get to if needed.
B) Are you planning to ditch the heat mat in the morning and go out to get a decent basking light and UV setup after reading a few of the how tos on this forum (no offense, but I have asked you twice about your temps with no answer and can only conclude you have no UV or Basking light)
C) give your beardy a light spray with water as he would be dehydrated after vomiting.
D) Have a quick squiz at some basic beardy setup care sheets and how tos on here as well as elsewhere to make your you have all you bases covered - UV, heat food and water.

Hope that helps and that this was just a once off. If it happens again, try get him to a reptile vet who can give more advice than a screen name on a forum..

thank you so much and yeah he doesnt have a UV or Basking light i will get one tommorow but there is only one reptile shop in cairns that i know of and he is only open certain days ill give him a spray

thank you so much and yeah he doesnt have a UV or Basking light i will get one tommorow but there is only one reptile shop in cairns that i know of and he is only open certain days ill give him a spray

Ok, well get yourself a UV and a basking light setup asap. Go see the guys at the pet shop next to the Smithfield shopping centre (no names as per rules) and they will be able to give you some good advice and also offer you what you need.. It's not that expensive and once setup right, you will have your scaley friends for a few years to come.

Also, do yourself a big favor and read some care sheets (yes I know I keep saying it) as they can really help you out.

S

I agree with everything that Sniper is saying, also it is normally not recommended to feed your Beardies mealworms at such a young age, when they are adults, they should be treats. Mealworms can cause impaction of the digestive tract, causing massive problems and can lead to fatalities

As Sniper said:
Keep the fresh veges available and avoid the mealworms until at least a year old.

ive been trying to feed them collard greens but they wont eat them is there any trick to get them to eat veggies?

ive been trying to feed them collard greens but they wont eat them is there any trick to get them to eat veggies?
Lots of opinions on this. My way to get mine nomming (eating to the non Internet folks) on greens was to get him hungry ( not feed him for 3 days -not RSPCA approved) and then start off with a hibiscus flower followed by lettuce, capsicum, zucchini, squash and a grape as desert.
Try the below link for some helpful info.

Nutrition Content
Mods, please advise if above link is in breach of any rules and remove if needed.

I endorse everything SniperCap has said. You really need both the UV light and basking lamp or you'll have yourself a sick baby very quickly.

It also isn't all that unusual for a one-month-old beardie not to eat salad at all. It's still a good idea to keep it available for him. That way he can sample it as he likes and learn that it's good to eat.

If you can't get a basking light ASAP go to your local cheap shop or similar and get a cheap clip on desk lamp and put a 25 or 40w bulb in it and leave it on 12hrs a day ( use a timer ). Dragons vomit if temps drop so food can't rot in there stomachs. They are basking animals and do better under bright warm light. As for greens try rocket mine love it.

thanks to everyone on this thread especially SniperCap my beardie has stopped vomiting and his feces is back to normal he is more active and running around again and he has started eating dusted crickets again thank you so much! :D :D

Glad he has come right mate. Just remember to keep them separated with enough UV and heating for both :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back